Decorating For Christmas Early Is Actually Good For Your Health

Decorating Early For Christmas Actually Makes You Happier, It's Just Science

Experts say that decorating early for Christmas can lead to being a happier person.

357

Christmas trees, stockings, and ornaments, oh my! Whatever your holiday decor list consists of, putting up decorations can be one of the best parts of the Christmas season. Whether it's a time of family bonding or a way for you to unwind as you hang up the tinsel, there is a method to everyone's merry madness.

But, how early is too early to start spreading Christmas cheer?

According to Steve McKeown, psychoanalyst, and owner of The McKeown Clinic, it's never too early!

He says that "Decorations are simply an anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions of excitement. So putting up those Christmas decorations early extends the excitement." For adults, Christmas decor can remind them of a time of no responsibilities when they were younger, which they associate with good feelings. So hang up that stocking and start feeling like a kid again!

Not only do decorations remind you of a time of less stress, but it can also help you remember the times when loved ones celebrated Christmas with you who might not be around anymore. If a close friend or family member has passed away since last Christmas, putting up the same decorations can actually help you to feel more connected to them.

Another good reason to decorate for Christmas is because of the joy you can show others. A study published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology revealed that there's a correlation between decorating a house for Christmas and seeming more open and social to neighbors.

Don't be a Scrooge! It's time to string up those lights.

One final reason to start your Christmas season earlier is to start the season of giving. If you are feeling in good spirits because of your decorations, you are much more likely to donate or give to someone in need. "Altruism increases in the month of December and as people start to give more and donate more, it makes them happy," psychotherapist and author Amy Morin told GMA. "It makes people feel good so they want to start celebrating as early as possible."

Don't let early decorating neigh-sayers get you down! It's time to put up that obnoxiously large Santa inflatable and be thankful for the holidays!