8 Things You Can Only Relate To If A Decade Separates You And Your Siblings

4. Feeling like you actually experienced teen pregnancy.

294

Here are 8 the best and the worst things you experience if you are a decade older than your siblings! Honestly, I think the good outweighs the bad any day!

1. Being told "You're not my mom!"

Honestly, I can't even say how many times I've heard this one. I would say that every single time I watch my sisters for more than 30 minutes one of them screams either "YOU'RE NOT MY MOM" or "YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME". No, I may not be your mother, but at this very moment I am in charge and you will do what I say.

2. But also...being called Mom.

So if I'm not your mom then why do you accidentally call me Mom all the time? I've also been called Granny on occasion so I'm not really sure what that says about me...

3. Being the ~super~ cool big sibling.

This is probably one of my favorite parts of being a big sister. Nothing makes me happier than when my sisters want to show me off. Even better is when I'm featured on the Insta. I love being the one to take them to lunch, to take them shopping, or just have a sleepover. I will never get tired of being asked to come to their schools for lunch.

Truth be told, sometimes I have to remind myself that I am not actually a mom. I remember the days I found out that our Mom was pregnant, the days they were born, and holding them for the first time. I changed diapers. I go to cheer practices and soccer games. I've taken them to doctor's appointments and picked them up from the bus stop. I'm not really sure how anyone could expect me not to feel like a mother of two?

5. Being mistaken for a teen parent.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have been told that I have "beautiful daughters" or have engaged in conversation with a mother just to realize she thought I was also a mother. I know I act older than I am, but I still can't figure out the math of how old I would have to be to have a 9 and 11-year-old.

6. Feeling left out of the little moments. 

Going to college was extremely hard for me, and I think a huge part of that was leaving my little sisters behind. I went from being there for every tooth loss and haircut to finding out news weeks later. Sometimes when I go back home I feel like that horrible aunt that grabs your cheeks and says, "I can't believe how big you've gotten!" Especially at such young ages, they're changing so much so quickly.

7. That special moment when you go from sister to best friends.

Although it's sad that my sisters are growing up so quickly, there is something special about our relationships now. They're getting to that preteen age that is both terrible, yet super relatable. I no longer feel like I am talking to children when I talk to them; we have very real conversations. I see them as some of my closest friends and I hope they see me as the same.

8. Embarrassing the crap out of the little ones. 

But also, our age difference means they are still at the age where family members are super embarrassing. Any chance I get, I will throw a silly face their way in public or hug them so tight they can't breathe.