Death By Pokémon

Death By Pokémon

"Pokémon GO requires much more vigilance than sending a text does, so its consequences could be even more deadly."

5
Death By Pokémon
YouTube

By now, everyone is aware of the current phenomenon that is Pokémon GO. Even if you don’t watch the news, it’s pretty hard to miss the excessive amount of 15-30 year olds walking around–usually in groups–staring at their phones and congregating in random places around town.

Alas, the age of Pokémon Go is upon us, in which we can catch Pokémon in our own homes, out in the street, and basically anywhere that a Pokémon might live in the wild. A game that used to be played with cards, and a television show that incites nostalgia for late-80's and early-90's babies, is alive in our very own world.

Of course, with anything new, there’s always controversy. News stories galore have been debating the pros and cons of the app in regard to, well, everything. Should stores that are inadvertently on the Pokémon GO map kick out non-paying customers trying to catch that high-level Squirtle? Does the extra foot traffic actually help their business? Is Pokémon GO an app that encourages trespassing and the breaking of curfew for those underage?

And then there’s the big one: safety behind the wheel. This controversy is one that I had to take a stand on, because I’ve seen its negative effects with my very own eyes. But what does safe driving have to do with an app on your phone?

Well, for one Pokémon GO requires its users to watch their screen continuously, in case a new Pokémon should appear within range of a Pokéball (I know, nerd alert). Not only that, but it also only logs the progress you make towards hatching an egg (you have to walk anywhere from 2-10 km per egg), when the app is open.

It seems like a no-brainer that people would stop playing the game while behind the wheel, considering it requires such a great deal of attention to their phone screen. Even so, they do it. Comical though it seems to picture people going to such great lengths in their dedication to Pokémon GO, I think a much more serious problem lies underneath.

Since the app’s launch, I’ve seen countless posts from my own friends on social media, who have driven recklessly in their pursuit of Pokémon; illegal U-turns, illegal parking, and even fender benders are among the posts and tweets. They say that texting while driving is worse even than drunk-driving. We all know about the tragedies that can result when someone tries to send a text while behind the wheel; we see it on the news monthly. Pokémon GO requires much more vigilance than sending a text does, and its consequences could be even more deadly.

Embarrassing as it is to admit, even I have personal testimony from dangerous driving while under the influence of Pokémon GO. In the early days of the app, I had it open on my phone and was halfway down the road when I realized I was driving the wrong way on a one-way (sorry, mom).

What’s worse, it was the road I live on. My recklessness could have caused, not only harm to myself, but also to those of anyone driving or walking down the street at that time. Besides the people I know personally who have gotten into trouble with this app, there are tons of others all over the news who have been hurt or caused damage due to their carelessness while driving and playing. Take the man in Massachusetts, who caused a major accident because he was trying to catch Pikachu; or the one in Auburn, NY who crashed his vehicle into a tree while playing. The stories are endless, but the results are the same: dangerous things happen when you don't pay attention to the road.

I write this now in the hopes that someone else can learn from my mistake and those of others; my goal is not to put Pokémon GO on blast here. In fact, the app’s loading screen warns all users to be alert and stay aware of their surroundings, something that I previously thought was just a hint that Pokémon could be found anywhere, at any time. After a week of playing, however, I’ve realized that it’s more of serious a caution than it seems. Being aware is the key to avoiding serious accidents while playing, for both walkers and drivers.

I appreciate the warning for what it is now, and overall, I applaud the creators of Pokémon GO. They’ve created a game that forces its users to get outside and exercise; you literally have to get out there to hit Pokéstops, train in gyms, or simply catch Pokémon. I love that.

What I don’t love is the idea of someone getting behind a wheel to do it, and it’s clear that the creators did not have that intent either. (I mean, they don’t even log your kilometers on the app unless you’re going really slow- i.e., walking). Driving and playing puts so many people in danger, and I know most Pokémon GO users would agree that even the rarest of catches is not worth that risk. To even further explain my point, I’ll leave you with this video below. Always remember: stay safe, stay alert, and keep catching ‘em all!