Dear Younger Me

Dear Younger Me

I wish I could've walked you through everything first-hand.

7
Dear Younger Me
verywell

Dear Younger Me,

Age six: I know it's confusing. Mom and dad broke up and you've been to three schools while barely even being in elementary school, but you'll find ways to have fun. Live in the moment. Your innocence opens so many doors at such a young age. Go play tetherball and beat all the boys - same with wallball. I know you have it in you. Don't let the mean things anyone says take away your happiness. You're being raised up to do great things, I only wish you could see them now.

Age 10: You've been at the same school two years in a row now! Live it up, next year your mom will meet someone that will turn your life upside down, all for the better. That's right, your future step-dad is going to come in and help glue this family together. You'll even move into a house. Forget that apartment of the last four years you've crammed into! It's all so exciting, I'm so happy for you. However, you'll have to move schools again. But just once more! It's only fifth grade, then you'll move onto middle school.

Age 10 (fifth grade): Okay, I know it's not as simple as it should have been. And I know people say things that you wish would just be kept quiet. Don't let it get to you. Standing here today, I know you did let it get to you. Tough it out, you have a support system even if you don't see it. I believe in you.

Age 14: Okay, maybe this is out of hand. Harsh words are being thrown your way constantly, mean notes are being put into your locker, people are pushing you around. It's not easy and it's not fun. Please listen to that little voice in the back of your mind saying that you have a purpose. I know other thoughts overwhelm you, but that one thought holds the most truth. There's not much to say, because (even as an optimist) I don't see a lot of the good that is coming from everything being thrown your way. Maybe your dad will come back around, your knee will miraculously heal itself so you can continue playing sports, and people would stop picking on you. I also know that your mindset is far from hopeful. I know you haven't chosen joy, but be strong. It's a long road ahead, you've got some habits to kick, but I'm so excited to see you grow.

Age 15: This. Is. Living. This is what you needed. JESUS INTERCEDED. You're about to enter your sophomore year, and you may not be too thrilled to face all those people again, but now you've got JOY. Happiness can't compare. So, even in your lowest points, hold onto that joy. When you're pulled out of all sports due to a knee injury- choose joy. When your relationship with your dad falls - choose joy. I know you're all or nothing, so what Jesus has done for you is going to stir a passion that will take over. Let it happen. God will carry you through everything. Believe in it always. I'm proud of you!

Age 18: Time to head off to college, the day you've been waiting for for years. It's finally right in front of you. You'll be 200 miles away from home, which is the most bittersweet feeling. Leaving behind the life you've merely tolerated up until this point and pursuing a life you've dreamed of, but waving goodbye to the family and friends that have helped you stay up. They lended you pencils and paper when you refused to bring your backpack to school that last semester, brought you coffee when they knew you would probably fall asleep in class and even gave you a buddy to skip class with when they knew they couldn't talk you into to actually going (sorry mom). Looking back, in the midst of chaos, you had a good run. Onto greater adventures!

Age 19 (today): Looking back, I only wish you could see the greatness that would come to you. Jesus took you on adventures you never thought possible. And now you're here- right where you need to be. Remember to call your mom every once in a while, request a home cooked meal from someone who would love to make it for you and don't spend all your money on coffee (but are you really gonna listen to that one?).

Dear Younger Me,

Keep your head up. You're seen, heard, loved and so much more.

Be where your feet are.