Dear Younger Me

Dear Younger Me

Some things I wish I could've said to myself growing up

11
Dear Younger Me
Olivia Anne Higdon

Dear little one,

You've lived quite a life so far. Between graduating high school, and learning how to tie your shoes, you've come a long way. You're so innocent now, and you don't quite understand why. To your young eyes, the sky will always be blue and the sun will always shine. If you take anything from this letter, let it be that. To remember you will always make it out alive.

There are many reasons why I'm writing to you, little one. Reasons which you will not understand until you begin to grow into your body and your mind to where we are as a person today. There are some things that even now, as a 20-year-old, you might not understand, and that's okay. Life is strange and weird, but oh so beautiful.

I have seen the light drawn from your eyes before, and I've seen your eyes shine brighter than an entire galaxy. I have seen you at your lowest, and I have seen you at your highest. I know we are still young today, but we have grown and changed so much since the beginning of our fragile life. Remember than when life gets tough, I know that you have made it through what seems like the roughest storms. Smooth seas don't make smooth sailors, little one. But never forget how brave you are as you adapt to your ever changing life.

Dear little one,

Do not be afraid to use your voice. It is louder than a lion's roar, and stronger than a hurricane. Your voice is a weapon to which only you can control. Stand up for yourself, even if it feels like no one is supporting you. Speak your mind and be truthful to everyone you know. Never feel like you have to make yourself become someone you're not. Don't ever use your own voice against you. You can create such beautiful dreams and realities for yourself if you just stay true to your heart.

Cherish every moment you have with your friends and family now. Don't forget to tell everyone you love them, or tell them how you really feel. Tell people how they make you feel before you don't have the chance. Remind yourself that you are made of stardust and you hold the universe within you. Remind yourself that you are worthy of the most undying and passionate love. You are worthy to have friends who laugh with you and not at you. You deserve to be treated like the person you are, and you deserve to feel whole.

Dear little one,

Life is tough, but you are so much tougher than anything that comes your way. Trust me, we are now 20 and still living every day. Even when you feel like there isn't anything left for you to give, keep going. Keep striving to grow and learn every day more about yourself than before. Love yourself and practice loving yourself every day.