Dear Younger Me, What I Wish You Knew Back Then

Love, older you.

36
Sydney Jones

Dearest me,

Yeah, yeah I know what you're thinking, "what does she even know?" Well, a lot actually.

First things first, listen to mom and dad. That is the most important thing I could tell you. They know a lot more than you think.

You know that bad boy you thought was cute? Yeah, bad idea.

You know those friends that mom said were a bad idea? Yeah, she was right.

All those times you will argue with mom, just let her talk. Stop interrupting. She just loves you.

Take in those Friday night lights. Like every single lightbulb. Look around at your cheer squad, your teammates, your friends and truly take pictures in your brain. One day, when your 23 you'll want those memories. I am here to tell you that you won't necessarily want to go back to those days, but you will cherish the memories. High school is easy, appreciate that.

No matter what, listen to your brain (well most of the time). That little high school heart of yours will lead you astray a few too many times. You will make mistakes and you will learn from them. I am glad you made those mistakes, actually. It made me who I am today. But, do not be afraid to take a risk. I wish I would have taken more.

Respect mom and dad. They love you so much. They know most everything. They have, despite your disbelief, been through what you are going through. Let them in. Let mom talk to you, vent your feelings to her. Be able to listen to them when they give advice. It will save a lot of heartaches.

Don't conform. Stand out. Have confidence. Just because your friends are doing it, doesn't mean you have to. Don't be embarrassed that you don't party, you can still be friends with the people that do. Have fun. Let loose some more.

Most importantly, don't get too attached to those around you. After high school, you will drift from most of your friends. But that's OK. The few good ones stuck around. Just wait until you go to college, kid. You will meet the best friends and have so much fun. But until then, here is to what you think is "the best times of your life." College truly will be the best time, though. But, your life will never be as easy as it is now. Go change the world.

Love,

Older you.