When Time Seems Like It's Flying By In College
Senior

Dear Time, Please Slow Down. Sincerely, College Seniors

Life is not a race.

148
Allison Blythe

School has begun, and it has finally sunk in that I'm a senior and that this is my last year of college.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am so ready to be done. But what I've realized is how fast the years really go by. I seriously think they go by faster and faster the older I get. This epiphany about how life literally flies by in the time it takes to snap your fingers happened about three years ago.

In May of 2015, there were 68 people in my high school graduating class who gathered together for one last time before moving to the next chapter of life. I had grown up with these people for 13 years. We began kindergarten together, and I cannot begin to explain the bond that we created over those years.

Those people were not only my friends, but they were my family. Having to leave high school was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. We have not all been back together since, and we probably won't ever be back together at one time and in one place.

High school graduation closed one chapter and led to a new chapter of adventure, whether that meant going straight into a job or going to college.

Looking back, those 13 years went by way faster than I realized. And now, here I am. A little over three years later, I am about to begin the last year of yet another chapter.

We seem to always want our current chapter to end and our next one to begin, but the reality is, we have no control over that.

We need to learn to live in the moment and wish for time to slow down. Because before we know it, we'll be 85 in a retirement home, wishing we could go back to this chapter in life.

Our lives are full of chapters. We sometimes don't even realize when they begin or end. We have various chapters of school. We have different chapters of relationships. We have diverse chapters of our careers. And there are many other types of chapters.

No matter what we go through in life, we all have chapters that begin and end at different times. None of our chapters are the same, and nothing should be a comparison game or a race.

There are no time limits in life, and sometimes that can get the best of us.

As much as I want to rush the rest of this chapter of my life, I also need to slow down and enjoy it. There's a lot to learn and enjoy in every chapter we go through.

So, my challenge to you is to remember that life is not a race. Slow down, have a time of reflection each day, enjoy this chapter and remember that God has a reason for this chapter.

We can do anything with Jesus. Matthew 28:20 tells us that He is with us "to the very end of the age."

So, let that sink in for a moment.

We have not gone anywhere, and we will not go anywhere in the future without Him by our side.

Let that be the strength you need to get you through this chapter.

We have the same power living inside of us that raised Jesus from the grave (Romans 6:10-11).

Let the Holy Spirit be your guide through this chapter, and all else will fall into place for God's glory. So, take some time in prayer today to be thankful for your circumstances and let God do His thing.

Because friend, let me assure you. His plans are far greater than mine or yours.

"When we work, we work. When we pray, God does the work." — Hudson Taylor