Dear Summer, Love College Students

Dear Summer, Love College Students

We missed you. Like, SO much.

24
Dear Summer, Love College Students
Tumblr

Dear summer,

I know we haven't talked in a while, but I heard that you'll be around soon, so I just wanted to get in touch before you came to town. I have a few things to say, and although some of them may sound harsh, I promise that I appreciate your long-awaited visit.

First of all, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? I know, I know...you can't be here all the time, but I didn't realize how much time we would need to spend apart. After a long semester of papers, tests, caffeine, empty carbs and emotional breakdowns, I'm glad you're here. I missed you, and now I'll be clingy in hopes that you don't leave.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter about your slow arrival, but I do have to express some words of thanks at the end of the day. At this point, you feel like a savior. You're taking me away from those dreaded finals, those long all-nighters, and all of the stress and sleep deprivation that I've had to endure during this nasty winter and this less-than-pleasant spring. (I don't even know how the three of you are related, TBH.)

I'm also thankful for the world of opportunities that you'll be offering me. During your time here, I can work and make money, I can travel, and maybe, for once, I can sleep a healthy amount. The world is my oyster thanks to you, and I can't wait to explore and bask in your sunshine. Just don't forget that sunshine part, because my pale skin really needs that present that you had promised.

Perhaps the most welcome part of your visit is that you bring with you a momentary glimpse of sanity. Yes, I will miss my friends and the home away from home that I've learned to call my own, but nothing sounds more refreshing than a home-cooked meal, some snuggles from my dogs, showers without shoes, and my own lonely, perfectly cushioned bed. And the best part is, you'll give me those things for like three months. This seems like some kind of sick joke, but no. It's just the magical miracle of summer.

I can admit that this semester has sometimes sent me off my rocker, and I know my friends have felt the same. So, summer, thank you for remaining patient and choosing to still make your yearly visit. We'll be stumbling home to you, messy hair, bags under our eyes, probably looking and smelling worse than our average standards. But you will accept us anyway, and we will run into your arms and never look back.

So, it's bye for now spring semester, and to the upcoming fall, here's a suggestion: treat us like summer does, and we promise we'll like you more. Unrealistic expectation? Yes. But hey, at least a girl can try.

So summer, we thank you. See you soon.

xoxo,

Exhausted college students