Dear Old Souls: You Are Not For Everyone

Being disliked by some is simply a byproduct of authenticity.

One of the hardest things in life is to be mislabeled and misunderstood by a society that fails to see the beauty of its own kind, and unfortunately, the Old Soul is not a stranger to this. At worst, we're seen as the loners, the antisocials, the outcasts. As Old Souls, we struggle to find our place in a world that we never truly feel connected to. We yearn to be understood and loved so deeply and desperately that sometimes we even go as far as to attempt to cover the traits that define us.

"One of the most freeing things we learn in life is that we don't have to like everyone, everyone doesn't have to like us, and it's prefectly okay." —Author Unknown

You've probably heard this before, but it never hurts to hear it again: You are not for everyone.

There are languages your soul speaks that people will never be able to translate; songs your heart sings that people will never be able to resonate with; storms surging inside of you that others will never be able to weather.

And that's okay.

Trying to cater your life and decisions to everyone else besides the only person whose feelings matter — yours — drives you into an unhappy place in an impossible attempt to make everyone happy.

You are going to be misunderstood in the way you care, for the things you place value on, for the identity you have crafted for yourself. People are going to take you at face value. They're going to make judgments about you that will, in fact, be the exact opposite of what and who you are. And that's going to hurt. It may even make you want to prove them wrong. It may drive you to do things to make them like you.

Do not let these people cause you to falter. You are strong and you are wonderful and you are amazing and you are you.

You are not required to waste your precious time, energy, and gifts on people who need to be convinced of your value. As you "drive people away," you will only get closer to those who love you, who want to be close to you, and who truly value you.

Being disliked by some is simply a byproduct of authenticity. The more you unabashedly embody your true personality, the more incompatible people will pull away from you.

No, you are not for everyone. And that's beautiful.

It is my hope that you all will protect your hearts, your dreams, your passions, your inmost beings. It is my hope that you will not let the world condemn you for being too passionate, too expressive, too soft.

Refuse the world that demands you to be perfect and be real.