A Hopeful Soul's Letter To Santa

A Hopeful Soul's Letter To Santa

It's been awhile, but I have some requests.

20
A Hopeful Soul's Letter To Santa

Dear Santa,

Growing up I used to argue with my dad about if we would leave sugar or chocolate chip cookies for you because, despite what my dad thought, I believed you would enjoy the sugar cookies more. I left letters by the chimney... actually about five letters because I always forgot something in the previous one. I made sure the milk was not expired for you because I knew you were working hard all night, and I left reindeer food outside because I figured they needed it after flying around everywhere.

My lists used to consist of Barbie’s, American Girl Dolls, and usually one or two puppies (still waiting for those). I forced myself to sleep or else my dad said you wouldn’t come. I was so worried I wasn’t on your nice list and I’m going to admit I was pretty mean to my little brother, so thank you for not sneaking any coal into my stockings!

I know it’s been around 10 years since I have written a letter to you. Please forgive me for my absence; I guess I got a little busy. I am in college now, and I guess life treats me pretty well but at the same time I’m going through some stuff.

As I have grown up, I have become so busy. I have an agenda filled with test dates, projects, papers, work, and extracurricular activities. I have zero time to focus on other, more significant things. The holiday season used to be filled with butterflies in my stomach while I waited for you to come, listening to Christmas music while I wrote you my letters by the fire, and lit up eyes when I ran to the tree on Christmas morning in my matching pajamas. I have lost what all those things felt to me; in fact, I think a lot of kids have forgotten what Christmas should be and feel like.

I am writing you because I have a wish list. I do not know how much power you have or if your elves have time away from making dolls and trucks, but I would like it if you took a look.

This Christmas I wish that all my friends and family will be healthy for the holidays. I wish that my parents will not feel too stressed out this holiday season and that my younger brother doesn’t lose himself in high school drama. I wish that all the shelter animals find homes for the holidays and that all homeless families can have a better life. I wish those who are heartbroken can believe in love again and those who are lonely find company. I wish the hungry can celebrate with a full stomach and for strangers to be kind to one another. I wish for the safety of those traveling for the holidays and laughter to be filled in every household.

In amidst of our cluttered lives, we lose the things that used to mean so much to us. This Christmas I am not asking you for a new laptop or trendy clothes. Instead, please remind me of the little things that once mattered so much and should matter in my life now. Please allow me to be more considerate of others, as I know I am lucky and blessed. I ask you to bring happiness to the saddest people and laughter to those who have lost hope. Let the wandering souls find themselves and those with failures to find success.

This Christmas season, please remind us of the joy and happiness of Christmas.

Sincerely,

A Hopeful Soul