Dear Not-So-Little Sister

Dear Not-So-Little Sister

I don't know what I'd do without you.

9
Dear Not-So-Little Sister

We have had so many adventures together, my friend. No one else shares our connection, no one else quite understands our lives like we do. You were my first best friend.

Looking back on our childhood, filled with Barbie dolls and bike rides and movie nights, I wish for just one more day like that. I want to experience that time again, a time when life was simple, and our biggest concern of the day was getting to play together.

Not everything was perfect between us. I’m sure you remember the times we hit, teased and strongly disliked each other. On those days, I never believed that we would become so close as adults. But here we are.

While time apart and distance might separate us as we transition into our adult lives, know that I am never far away. No matter our age or place in life, I will always be your big sister. Although, it would be much easier to remind you of that if you weren’t so freaking tall.

Anyway, I want you to know how incredibly proud I am of you. It’s scary to think that we are both off in college, figuring out our lives and becoming more independent, but I know that you have handled this change with such grace and maturity that I don’t have to worry about you.

I worry about you anyway. It’s my job, as your big sister. I have always looked out for you. I don’t think I could ever turn off this switch, and I don’t want to. Your happiness means the world to me. You are too precious to me to stop worrying, even though you have proven you don’t need me watching over you.

I promise to protect you, doing my best to watch out for you, even as we begin our own, separate journeys into adulthood. I want to shield you from any kind of harm or pain, but I realize you are capable of being a big girl and deserve space to grow on your own.

Please remember that I am the older sister, which means I have two years, two months and two weeks of additional wisdom. Let me give you my advice from time to time, which will hopefully help you navigate uncharted territory and calm any fears you may have. The thought of you feeling scared or helpless breaks my heart. Know that you can always come to me with anything, no matter how silly or insignificant your concerns feel.

Your witty, bold, unique personality shines so brightly. I admire your ability to speak your mind and do what makes you happy. Your stubbornness and strength, while overwhelming at times, reassure me that no one will ever boss you around. I am thankful for that. I am so glad that you developed into your own unique, amazing person because I could not imagine life without you.

Even though I’m the older sister, I have learned so much from you over the years. You inspire me to take chances and live on the wild side (sometimes). I don’t often steer too far from my predictable, safe routine, but you bring me out of my shell and remind me to not take myself too seriously. Thank you for knowing how to make me laugh when I need it most, being there with a hug when I’m having a rough day and encouraging me when I need a little boost.

For the past seventeen years, I have tried to be someone you can look up to. Through my attempts to be a responsible, kind, ambitious person, I hope you have seen me as a positive role model and wanted to emulate my example.

I will always be here to hold your hand and guide you when you feel lost. My love for you is unconditional, and my support is never-ending. You can always rely on your big sis to be there for you. That is one constant in this crazy, ever-changing life.