Dear Mr. President, The Children Are Watching You

Young eyes are watching you lead our country.

9

Dear Mr. President,

We are 50 days into your presidency and I have to admit that I am outraged, ashamed, scared and disappointed.

I am outraged… because of your actions of taking away protections for transgender students, barring refugees from entering this country and for attempting to take away healthcare from millions.

I am ashamed… because your actions reflect our country and they do not reflect us well. They present us as a hateful nation that does not treat its citizens or those who live outside our country fairly. That is how other nations may view us right now and that is never okay. We are commonly viewed as the most powerful country in the world and you have added the words, divisive and hateful, to that title.

I am scared… because the victims of the war in Syria have limited options in safe places to go. LGBT individuals may lose their protections against being discriminated. Women will have limited options to proper healthcare and could lose power in making decisions about their own bodies. A wall may be built that furthers us from the outside world and thousands of immigrants may be forced to go home and leave family behind.

Lastly, I am disappointed because Mr. President, the children are watching you.

I grew up during your predecessor's administration. From the ages of 8 to 19, I watched him intently. I admired his grace, determination, aura and charisma. I told my parents, “I want to be like President Obama.” He was a role model to me and still is. You are not like your predecessor.

You bully.

You blame.

You target the innocent.

You lie.

You keep secrets.

You boast.

The young children who will grow up during your administration will watch you on the TV and they will watch you be dishonest and bully. The two things they are told not to do from a young age.

I think back to the commercial ran by your opponent during the election cycle. It was painful to watch every time it came on the TV but I couldn’t look away. It highlighted your violent language and how wide-eyed children watched you conduct yourself. I may not know a lot about children’s development but I know they are impressionable. They can emulate things they see on TV and copy the words that come out of their parent’s mouths. They will watch you on TV, the leader of our country and presume they can do what you do.

They will pick on kids in the schoolyard. They will target peers because of race. They will harass and be violent towards others. They will lie when asked to tell the truth. They will practice dishonesty. They will do it because you make it seem okay. You make it seem okay to hate.

Mr. President, I ask as a citizen of this country that you monitor your actions, stop the bullying and the blaming, stop the lying and the dishonesty and watch how you conduct yourself.

Everyone is watching you.

I am watching you.

The children are watching you.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Citizen