An Open Letter To My Dearest Mom And Dad

Needless to say, you were right and I was wrong.

937
Sydney Eisenberg

Going from living in a small New Jersey town your whole life to going to college in a big city on the other side of the country isn't the easiest transition. As hard as it is to leave your best friends, leaving your family, especially your parents, is even harder. At first, we all thought that we NEEDED to get out of our hometowns and that we NEEDED to be away from our parents. Yes, having the freedom of being in college is nice but, with freedom comes a lot of responsibility. (When I say a lot, I mean A LOT!!) If you say you have never had a time during your time at school where you haven't missed your parents, you're probably lying. Your parents are the most important and influential people in your life and taking them for granted shouldn't happen. Show them your appreciation and love while you can, time goes by way too fast. So, Mom and Dad, this one is for you.

Dear Mom & Dad,

Thank you. Thank you for being my biggest fans and the most loving, caring, and honest people in my life. For all the times I said "I'm sorry" and never meant it, I'm sorry. For all the times I wasn't honest with you, I'm sorry. For all the times I rolled my eyes because I didn't like what was being said, I'm sorry. Ever since I was a little girl, you taught me everything I know. Some of the most important things you taught me were to chase after what I wanted and to be a genuine person. I knew that being a genuine person wouldn't be difficult, especially with having the both of you as my parents. I remember the time I said I was applying to the University of Arizona. Mom, you had a fearful look on your face, while Dad, you said what you always say which is, "if you want it, go get it". Because of what you told me, I was able to work hard and here I am, at the best school and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Thank you for being the parents who weren't afraid to embarrass me, for being so involved in everything I participated in, and for telling me to "make good choices" every time I walked out the door. I know at times it seemed like I was ungrateful, but I want you to know that I'm extremely thankful and lucky that you were (and still are) able to bend over backward for me. I also want you to know that as much as I hated hearing the words "don't do this" or "you can't go here", I know you both had my best interest at heart. Being away from home made me realize that you were always right. I think that to say I'm lucky to have you as my parents would be an understatement.

The both of you have set up the best foundation for me and I can't wait to see where life takes me in the years to come. I will be forever appreciative of the memories we've shared the past 18 and a half years, and for the memories that haven't even been made yet. Oh, and thanks for giving me the best siblings I could ever ask for!! Here's to many more car jam sessions, family dinners, shopping trips, and everything in between!! I love you both more than you'll ever know.

Love always,

Your Little Girl