Dear Mom, On This Mother's Day

Dear Mom, On This Mother's Day

If you've ever pissed me off, this is the woman who knows about it.

6927
Dear Mom, On This Mother's Day
Huffington Post

What do I do when I'm stressed? Call Mom. When I'm sad? Call Mom. When I'm excited? Call Mom. When I'm anxious? Call Mom. When I just want to talk to someone? Call Mom. Whatever happens, my mom is always the first one I call or text to not only just to share news or rant to about current frustrations, but because I just want to talk to my best friend. Sometimes, I forget how truly blessed I am to have a mom like her. So, Mom, when you read this, try not to cry! But I know you will because I know how much you love me, and I hope you know from this letter just how much I love you. Happy Mother's Day, to the glue that holds our family together.

Dear Mom,

I truly have no idea what my life would be like without you in it. If you weren't the one to raise me, teach me, guide me, and let me grow on my own, I can't imagine who I would have become. As I've gotten older, you've become much more than a wonderful parent, you've become my best friend. I know I can tell you anything, and you will offer honest advice when I ask. But you still are the mom I need when I might be in the wrong on something.

You let your baby girl do things she wants, like get tattoos, even though they may not be YOUR first choice. You let me have a voice, and be a smart ass who's full of sass and class. You let me curse, and don't tell me it's unladylike and you don't tell me to watch my mouth. You somehow managed to help me become independent and self-reliant while also letting me know you'll always be there to rely on when I need help.

Even through financial struggles our family went through growing up, you made sure my sister and I had everything we ever needed. You buy me little, and big, things just because you think of me when you see them or you know I need it, even when I don't ask for them.

Through my years as an athlete, you were at every practice and game you could be, which was almost all of them! How?! Thanks for being my number one fan.

You taught me that kindness and how you treat people will always be the most important thing. I truly think you're an angel that God sent from heaven to help everyone you come in contact with. You are so loved by not just me, but so many other people.

You have never, EVER, made me feel bad about any aspect of who I am or how I look. And for that, I hope you know I will be forever grateful. If I have kids, I can only hope I make them feel as loved as you make your children feel. You've always supported me in everything I've ever done and gone through. From the hardest personal struggles I've ever faced, to pursing things out of my comfort zone, such as writing here on Odyssey, you've always been my cheerleader.

Thank you for always doing my laundry, feeding me when I come home for the weekend, making me laugh and allowing me to be silly when I take things too seriously, for taking my car to get its oil changed, for allowing me to text you 24/7, for making me laugh with the GIFs you send and now the Bitmojis you send, and for showing me that a woman who has gone through many things in her life can give her children the life she never had. Isn't it funny that you didn't even want kids? Look what you would have missed out on! You raised a pretty awesome kid, if I do say so myself.

But, in all seriousness, I hope you read this and know how amazing you are and how grateful I am to have you as my mom. I can only aspire to be half the woman you are. I love you very much. Now, put your feet up and have a cocktail!

Love,

Your unicorn, Al