Dear High School Seniors, Get Ready For The Ride Of Your Life

XOXO, a college freshman who's totally screwed for finals.

341
Tori Hoff

Dear high school seniors,

Get ready for the ride of your life. College is literally nothing like I expected it to be, honestly. I don’t think you could ever prepare something for this and I wouldn’t even try. There are a couple secrets about college that you just kind of learn from being here like about relationships. Both romantic and just plain friendships develop so quickly in college. That stranger that lives next to you knows every little thing about you two weeks after you meet. I have had friends go from single to practically married in under a month. College is weird.

In college, we also have such weird words for things. We bop and bump. We were zonked and blasted. But mostly we are so tired we are literally going to die. I remember when I was in high school and my brother said you pick two of the three: sleep, study, or social life. However, the secret he forgot to mention is that if you pick social life or study you will not sleep. The only time you sleep is when you pick yourself.

I think the most important secret that I could tell incoming freshman though is that even though school is important, being happy is more important. You don’t remember the late nights studying but you remember the talks you had walking back from the library with your friends at 4 am. You forget about the classes you slept through but remember cuddling with your buddies. The most important part of college is your buddies. They will be there for you for all the highs and all the lows.

College is the greatest time of your life. I swear. I might have only been here for one year but I have learned more about myself and the world than I could have ever imagined. I still miss my dogs each and every day but being at college has been the greatest part of my life. I have truly found my people. I have found the person I want to be. I am truly happy.

XOXO

A college freshman who's totally screwed for finals.