Dear Freshmen, Be Yourself.

If you follow my articles, you may look at the title of this one and wonder what I'm doing. I generally write about the wonderful College of Agriculture and its industry, but this time I have a different message to send: freshmen, don't lower your standards.

After the first two weeks of school, you have probably seen it all. Kids in your dorm are doing crazy things in the halls, you see everyone partying on the weekends, you watch people skip classes, and you wonder if you should do the same. You don't like your room mate, you're having a hard time making friends, and you just want to fit in.

If you don't want to party, don't. I can safely say after a year of experience that you don't have to if you don't want to. There are thousands of kids in your boat right now, and not everyone wants to get plastered every week. Go to those cheesy programs that the university puts on. Join clubs and organizations. Similar people to you will be there. Don't let peer pressure get to you now. You are in college and an adult. Make your decisions for yourself, not other people.

If you aren't a social butterfly, don't think you have to be now. By all means, don't lock yourself in your room and never come out, but you don't have to become an extrovert because everyone else is. Keep your door open while you watch Netflix or study. Be true to yourself. College is a time for you to be you. This is the time you have the most freedom with the least responsibility. That being said, you still have responsibilities. What I'm getting at is that you can find your style and find who you really are without anyone judging you. College is a time of free expression. There's people who believe in everything around you.

Express yourself. Stand up for what you believe in. Be true to yourself, and don't give in to the pressures around you. Study hard. Achieve what you never thought you could. You've made it this far. You survived high school. Don't cave now. I promise you that if you stay true to yourself, you will make the best friends you could ever ask for.