Dear Freshmen: Advice From An Incoming Senior

What? Like it's hard?

24
Google

Dear freshmen,

Welcome to college. The next four years will be some of the best, toughest and most exploratory of your life. You will be given new freedoms and opportunities that you never had before. The one thing I can guarantee is that you will not be the same person going out as you were coming in and that's exactly the way it's supposed to be.

1. Don't freak out if you don't know what you want to do with your life.

It's totally fine. I'm still not completely sure what I want to do either, and I don't know if that's comforting or concerning, but just take a deep breath and relax. You're going to find out more about yourself in the next four years than you ever thought you would. Try out some classes, clubs and activities here and there to figure out what you're really passionate about. You might discover that you love something that wasn't even on your radar.

2. Get your foot in the door.

Let's face it--you're probably not going to land your dream internship freshman year. I encourage you to apply, and if you get it, congratulations, that's outstanding! But chances are better that they'll look at your resumé and see that high school snowboard club doesn't exactly qualify you for the job and that's OK. It's not that you wouldn't absolutely excel in that position, but more so that they're looking for experience that you probably just don't have yet. Take some easy steps: join clubs relating to your major, make connections and help with research. Next time you apply, they'll see how much effort you have been putting into your future and know you'll put just as much effort into the internship.

3. Get rid of the toxic people in your life.

College is supposed to be a clean slate. If you have people in your life who drag you down, hold you back or make you feel ashamed of who you are, you don't need them. I'm not saying you need to text them right now to tell them you never want to see them again, but just be aware of how they are affecting your life. If they can't stop treating you like sh*t, then you can stop seeing them as much. You don't have to subject yourself to people who consistently make you feel bad about yourself.

4. Get to know your professors.

Everyone told me this before I came to college. "Just introduce yourself on the first day," they said. Yeah, OK. Sounded simple enough. As it turns out, there's something pretty intimidating about someone who has 40 years and seven Ph.D.s on you. "Maybe tomorrow," I said everyday, but never did. Well, then came the day I had to get letters of recommendation (for scholarships, internships, etc. Someday you'll need one, trust me). Let me tell you...it's pretty dang hard for a professor to write you a genuine letter of recommendation when they have 300 students in their class and three classes a day. In any case, it's never bad to get on a professor's good side. Not only will they be able to write you a killer letter, but they'll be a whole lot more understanding if you have extenuating circumstances as to why you need an extension on your final essay, rather than only contacting them when you need something.

5. Actually focus on your studies.

You know what they say, "Cs get degrees." But you know what Cs don't get you? Into grad school. Even if you're not planning on going to grad school, cramming in a few extra study sessions is still a good idea. It's easy to get swept up into everything college has to offer, but there's nothing more disappointing than going from an honors student to just scraping by. I would know because it happened to me. I got caught up in friends and parties and Netflix and naps and ended up on academic probation and nearly lost my scholarships. Just remember the whole reason you're even at college is to get an education. Don't worry; when you find something you absolutely love, you'll actually enjoy learning about it.

6. Meet new people.

Chances are the other students at your high school, or at least the ones you hung out with, are very, very similar to you, even if it didn't seem like it. In college, you will meet people from different states, countries and even continents. You will meet people with different traditions, priorities and cultures from you. If you allow yourself to, you will think from new perspectives and broaden your horizons. I met some of the most driven, talented and empathetic people I have ever met in college. To think I never would have met these people, had I closed myself off, is a shame. These are the people who encourage me to do better and learn from my mistakes. They act as role models, teachers and friends. Whether it's in your dorm, classes or clubs; you never know where your new best friends could be hiding.

7. Get out of your comfort zone.

I can't stress this enough. College is a learning experience, and not just in the classroom. If you want to do something or are even just curious about it, just do it. Don't wait around for your friends to do it with you. Don't tell yourself that maybe you'll do it tomorrow. Don't make any sort of excuse to hold yourself back from something you know you might love. This is your life and you get to have control over it. The sooner you realize this, the faster you'll be able to create the life you have always dreamed of.