Dear First Year Students...

Dear First Year Students...

A reflection on the college journey

8
Dear First Year Students...
Youth University

Dear First Year College Students,

So here you are at the starting line: You are done with high school and preparing for college. Congratulations! The world is your oyster and you are getting ready for the next incredible phase of your life at your chosen institution. I know it can be an exciting or terrifying (probably both) time, and in addition, you are entering the beginning stages of adulthood. You have moved away from home, or maybe you did not move that far and could still be living at home. In either circumstances, there is a certain expectation going into college as a freshman, as well as juggling adulthood. And let me tell you from personal experience -- it is not what you would have originally imagined.

You're so excited to be away from home.

This is can be true or false, or both. It really depends on each student. Personally, I was (and still am) both excited and sad to be away from home. I miss the privacy of my own room, I miss being able to shower and bathe without shoes, and I miss having my own functioning washer and dryer machines! Trust me, the simple pleasures you experience in the comfort of your own spacious home will be incredibly missed once you and your belongings are cut in half (and then cut that portion again), and shoved into a 15x12 foot box with another person. A word of advice that I was given about missing home is to give yourself at least six months before you are fully comfortable on your campus. I am almost a sophomore, and I still miss home. However, the people and experiences along the way, not all ideal or expected, but still valuable, have taught me many things.

You're going to have a large core group of friends and an incredible social life.

Again, this is sometimes true or not. It really depends upon the individual, if they feel pretty social or not so much. I am usually the latter. And to my fellow introverts, it is so crucial that you never feel alone. This can be especially difficult if you are homesick. I can admit that I have felt lonely in college thus far, and that I am homesick. I grew up with the same cohort of people my age since we were in diapers. So coming to a huge city, not knowing anyone and living with a total stranger, is such a wild experience. And you can feel that loneliness when your friends back home are growing more without you.

It is important to remember that you are growing as well, with them and with new people. That as well is another awesome aspect about college- you will meet so many new walks of life. Some you might connect with like you have known each other your whole lives, others perhaps not so much. And that is alright, something else college will teach you is how to work collaboratively with individuals you might not enjoy. Remember, be flexible! Of course, when you are meeting new people the same old introductions will arise constantly: your name, year, major, and hometown will eventually feel like a broken record. Do not be afraid to walk up to random people in your classes and start conversations. Try to get yourself involved in clubs or organizations. Joining Immersion groups before school starts gives you an opportunity to socialize before the pressure of studies occur as well. It might make your social life experience all the more enjoyable.

In addition to discussing general social interactions, a lot of questions come up in regards to the party scene. This is the gritty stuff, guys! Just kidding, I have no experience with that. There is a reason I do not: the statistics about sexual assaults on college campuses are terrifying. According to the New York Times, one in every four women are assaulted on college campuses every year. This is an incredibly large topic to discuss, and very distressing to hear.

A simple warning as you prepare to possibly embark on any college party adventures: travel in groups, never leave your drink alone nor accept one from someone else without the beverage being poured in a glass from a closed container, and never submit to peer pressure. Especially at a party, do not ever follow another's lead, always follow your instinct. And of course, there is the complete opposite end of the spectrum -- college classes.

Classes are going to be meaningful to you.

Once you get to college, you get to take anything you want! Right? Nope, that is not the case. Most institutions require core classes outside of those associated with your major or concentration of study. These are general ed, or core curriculum classes, and their purpose is to give you a holistic education. Those classes can be really interesting, or completely boring. Do not expect to be always super excited about a class you have to take, try to find something about it that interests you, but do not feel ashamed otherwise. You are paying this institution to get a degree, so fight for the education you want and deserve!

A couple of tips: unless you are a morning person do not, I repeat, do not take any class before 10 a.m. You will thank yourself, and your mind, later. Also, go to your professors office hours and just have a conversation with them. They love connecting with their students, those especially interested in a similar career to their own. This will make you stand out in the class and start that crucial touchstone of networking that you will need post-college. Do not be afraid to ask for help, and try to form study groups with members in your class to make the tedious bits more fun and engaging.

The food is going to be great!

This is just a side note -- dining hall food is good, however, it gets old very fast. And unfortunately, most first year students are required to have a minimum meal plan for their dining halls. The more unfortunate aspect is that these meal plans are ridiculously priced, as well as the food options! You’ll have your standard grill, sandwich, pasta, and salad bar. If you're lucky, they will throw in a global bar where the food options change every day to spice up the monotony of food choices.

However, one part of dining hall experience that truly exists is the freshman 15. It is real! I am myself a victim, and I blame it on the cheesecake. But to avoid the dining hall and freshman 15, a great tip would be to stake out a cheap local grocery outlet. There you can buy fresh fruit and vegetables that can easily be stored in a mini-fridge for snack time. Or, if you are very crafty and like to cook, and if your residence hall living situation allows, most dormitories have lounges or small kitchens. Here you can cook yourself some dinner or breakfast! Eliminating the long walk to the dining hall as well as saving yourself some money.

You think you have everything planned.

Trust me, I thought I did too! Submitted to my dream school with great financial aid and I was ready to get involved and start living my dreams, the horizon was here. Of course, there is always a fault to a plan. Some inquiries that might arise. What about students not entirely sure about what they want to major in? What if you switch majors? What if I switch schools?

Trust me, I understand all of those fears. You will switch majors a million times, and constantly question if you are in the right place on the right path. A simple way to figure some of these mysteries is out is to directly contact the departments of majors of interest to you, and starting asking questions about what it is really like to get a sense of how you would fit into that mold. Unfortunately, nobody knows exactly what you need to do besides yourself. That's a new fact about college, you are the master of this ship. Goodness knows you might not know it all right now either! But you will, and it is important to always remember that you will never have it all planned.

Your whole life has been jumping from one branch of education to the next, and now that you are in college there is no longer a proceeding branch to look for. If there is anything that you will take from this letter, it is that you are here because you love to learn and are ready to work hard for the rest of your life. Higher education is something that you have chosen. It is no longer required of you to do anything. Yet, here you are because you have a dream- and I believe that unique dream is worth fighting for! College will test you, and it is a very challenging, overwhelming, uncertain, and tumultuous experience. However, it is a beautiful one. I hope this letter does not kill your eager spirits, those spirits are extremely important and valued. Keep in mind to always be flexible, because as you start to learn college and life are similar in that regard.

Sincerely
A girl just like you, figuring it all out