Dear Emily

Dear Emily

To The First Life I Get to See Grow Up From Birth, Now, and On.

187
Dear Emily
Megan Sullivan

Dear Emily,

Little baby girl, my great baby cousin, you will never know how much you mean to me or how much I love you. You see, Emily, you are the first baby in our family in many, many years. I’ve never really been around babies until you. I have other younger cousins, but I was never old enough to remember them as babies to take care of them and watch them grow, or they were babies when I myself was a baby, so they don’t really count. But you, you little buddle of joy, you are special to me because you are the first life I will get to see grow up from birth, now, and on. I have the honor of being someone to help raise you, help you grow, take care of you, teach you, and watch you live your life and see who you will get to be. What you will become. The reason why you are so special to me is because you helped me realize something I never thought I’d fully understand.

Emily, for me, you symbolize a new start and a positive outlook for me in my life. This photo I took of you as I was holding you in my lap… I was just snapping pictures away at you and making funny faces to try and make you laugh and smile… But then all of a sudden you reached and grabbed my finger and held it so tight and wouldn’t let go. I had never felt anything like this before to feel such love and connection with anything. It’s just a one in a lifetime experience to have this first touch and I am humbled and blessed to have you, our family’s first baby, in my life. And to know… to feel… that you love me back just as much as I love you… it’s indescribable. I love being held by you as you hold me. Not just my finger, but my heart as well. I cannot believe I get to watch you, this little baby grow up right before my eyes and I finally get to see and understand what everyone older than me in our family says on how they feel about me and how they felt watching me grow up from that point to now and on. It goes by so fast that they can’t even believe it and now, as scared as I am for it because I don’t want it to go by so fast, I get to experience this first… with you.

One of those people who always reminisces on how little I used to be and how far I’ve come is your father, Max, my cousin. Well he’s more like an annoying older brother to me, but he’s still a great, goofy, fun loving guy who would do anything for you, will put you first, and will always go out of his way to make sure you’re safe… I think you’ll like him. And Emily, with you being here now I realize that I get to watch your dad grow up now too and how I picked up on his life thus far and where he’ll go on his new adventure into fatherhood. I couldn’t be more proud of him. He’s always been there for me and now I get to be there for him. He’ll never know how much I appreciate all he’s done for me. And I thank you Emily for how much you’ve already done for him and shown him. And your mom, Emily… isn’t she beautiful? The most lovely and caring person you could ever meet. You got the best of the best. Nobody was made more ready to be a mother than her. I see the way you just light up when you look at her. You know that’s your mommy and all that she has done for you. We all couldn’t have been more blessed that she came into your daddy’s life as well as the rest of our family. She just adds to the craziness you’ll come to know and love.

This photo of you Emily, and you yourself, represent a symbol of growth, new beginnings, realization, appreciation of life, pure love, and all the more good, blessed, and positive things to come for all of us… for me. Every time I hold you… Every time I see you smile… Every time you give a little attitude because you aren’t getting enough attention… I live for it. I love it. I love you. From birth, now, and on… know that I’m here always.

Love,

Your great cousin,

Megan