Dear "Dear Evan Hansen"

Dear "Dear Evan Hansen"

You're a symbol of hope for anyone who feels they're trapped in the darkness

55
Dear "Dear Evan Hansen"
New York Times

Dear "Dear Evan Hansen,"

While I like to consider myself to be a well-informed person, I didn't know what I was missing in my life until I heard your soundtrack. I didn't know a musical could cause such an emotional breakdown. Actually, that's not entirely true - I've listened to Next to Normal. Anyway, that's not the point of this letter. The point of this letter is to explain the impact you made and what it's done to me. I've seen my fair share of musicals, including ones meant to invoked heavy emotional responses. And, while I felt a pang of sadness at the right moments, I never shed a single tear.

But you, Dear Evan Hansen, had me ugly crying over "Disappear" and "You Will Be Found" at 9AM on a Saturday morning. You're more than just another musical gracing a Broadway stage. You're a symbol of hope for anyone who feels they're trapped in the darkness. I think it's the sheer beauty in that understanding that made me sob the way I did.

Somehow, you tapped into the fear of being inadequate and what that fear does to people. But it's not just teens (and one particular overly emotional junior in college) you've reached out to. No, you managed to convey how mothers feel when they're doing their best but know a map for parenting would be great. You also taught that grief isn't always felt right away; it may take time, and it may actually be resentment before it's grief.

In only 14 songs you told a beautiful story that anyone can connect with. In two of those songs, you reminded us that we are never alone. In another, you taught us that, one day, we call all see sky for forever.

Thank you, "Dear Evan Hansen." For everything.