Dear Class of 2020

Dear Class of 2020

Covid-19 has changed our lives in so many ways that it is so hard to fathom everything, but this article is for you

131
Dear Class of 2020

Dear Class of 2020:

As a member of the Class of 2020 as an undergraduate college student, I know exactly what you are going through. We are hurt. Confused. Sad. Broken. So much of our academic experience was taken away from us and we just don't know how to feel right now. Trying to find the positives in this gray cloud is hard, but trust me, here are some things that I know we are going through and probably may not experience as we continue this academic journey

Dances/Prom

upload.wikimedia.org

For my 8th graders and high school seniors, these dances are one of the last social events in our grade year, 8th grade dance for middle school and prom for high school. You probably already hearing about how these dances aren't much and there will be other opportunities, but that experience is what YOU make of it. It could be positive for some, but they won't know. The only thing I will say for a college perspective is that there will be parties, but not as formal as these dances are

Seeing Your Friends Again

I will break down this point into three sections for each of the levels of academics are similar, but also different:

8th Grade: Some of y'all will end up neighboring high schools were you will see each other again. Though it may be hard now, social media and technology are so apart of the norm that even though you are separated, there's a way to see and talk to them. Utilize this

High School Seniors: I literally feel for all of you right now. This was literally your last moments with your friends before you all venture out on your journeys to college and now you have to utilize video calling apps to stay connected with your friends. The best advice that I can give to you all is to have faith for the Summer. Use that time to visit and hang out with your friends, stay connected with them through social media and if you have video game systems like the Switch, use that as well as a way to maintain connections. There are so many other virtual opportunities for you all to use for when we are aloud outside, the feeling will still be there.

College Graduates: I'm speechless for my class as we are literally at a standstill. We live in a virtual world where social media and video game systems are already a huge part of our lives to connecting with friends, but when that thing becomes our only option, it's utterly speechless.

Online Instructions aka ELearning aka Online Classes

cdn.pixabay.com

For those who wasn't already taking an online class, this is a HUGE adjustment. The face-to-face interaction in the classroom is a whole different ballgame from being our laptops using Sakai, Blackboard, Zoom, Bongo, Google Meet, etc. If your professor sends you an email saying reach out if you ever need to talk, let's schedule a meeting time, USE IT! I'm speaking from personal experience for I have reached out to my advisor,

Filling in the Void for Face to Face Interaction

This doesn't just apply to our friends, but to our professors that we build special connections with. Though we will be seeing them when we have online instruction, it's just not the same. Not all bonds can be virtual, sometimes you need that physical face-to-face interaction in order to succeed in your studies.

Lastly, but the most important, Graduation

Hartford Courant

You may experience graduation a bunch of times, but you only graduate once from the year (8th, High school, Undergrad, Grad & even Doctorate). I feel like this is the biggest stung to our chest that we just don't know how to deal with, but there are other solutions that could hopefully feel the void. Many students are using Minecraft to create a virtual graduation ceremony, some are using online tactics to recreate that special moment, or hopefully when stay-at-home orders are done, you can recreate a graduation in the nice weather or if you prefer, recreate it in your living. Use websites like Pinterest to get your creative juices flowing to recreate a grad cap and roll up a piece of paper as your diploma to recreate this magic moment. For my high schoolers and college students, if you can fit your old grad gown, use it