Dear Class of 2020, We Are Proud of You

Dear Class of 2020, We Are Proud of You

This is a hard time. Tears will be shed between high schoolers and college students alike, but know that there are so many people who are proud of you.

398
Dear Class of 2020, We Are Proud of You

Don't look at this article as a way of crying and getting in a sad mood, although you are very much entitled to feel however you want because what's happening to you isn't fair. Look at this article as a way of knowing you have people who want you to know that they are proud of you, despite the circumstances.

Senior year is the first time that so many things will happen in your life that you will never experience again. Prom, senior trips, graduation parties, senior night, scholarship dinners, sports banquets. It's all gone now and it's not fair.

I remember crying on my graduation night because I would be leaving my best friends that I had grown up with. You won't get to have that feeling of holding your best friend in your arms before you have to grow up. It's not fair. I have pictures from senior parties and senior night that I can look back on. You won't and it's not fair. I was blessed to enjoy my prom, even though I complained about how early in the year it was. Many of you have ordered dresses and tuxes that will never be worn and it's not fair.

None of this is.

I graduated high school in 2018 and won't finish college for another two, so no, I can't relate to how you feel and I'm not going to try to relate. This is hard for you, I know that. So many of you were waiting for the day you get to graduate and walk the stage and it's been cut short or thrown away completely. It's not fair and I know that.

Athletes, this was your year and chance to show recruiters that they need you on their team - if they don't pick you, they're missing out on some amazingly talented kids. Visual and performing art students, this was your final moment to sing in your spring showcase or show off your art at the spring art exhibit - your hard work will be noticed someday. To the kids who just wanted to graduate and be done with high school, you're done - don't let your horrible memories (if you had them) keep you from being excited about the future.

You've all worked so hard for the day to walk across the stage and look out and see your family smiling so hard because you did it. Do not let the news of your commencement being canceled or postponed ruin your life because, like Senator Orrin Hatch said, "Graduation is not the end; it's the beginning."

You may not have had the ending you wanted, but I want you to know that so many people are proud of you and so am I.

From Your Site Articles