Dear America, I Will Not Get Over It

Dear America, I Will Not Get Over It

"Give me your tired, your poor, and your huddled masses..."

15
Dear America, I Will Not Get Over It
Unit 587

As I was watching tv on Election Night, my heart sank deeper and deeper with every red state. Just an hour before I had dragged three friends to go vote who previously did not want to. I felt optimistic, happy, hell, I even felt hopeful. Yet every new state won was red. I really could not stand to watch the end. I went back to my dorm, saddened, and the only advice my RA could give me was that despite the outcomes, to go to the diner and eat some ice cream. That was the only moment that I could look forward to. I cried when I showered and I cried even more in the morning when I had to get up to go to class. It has taken five days for me to finally be able to round up my thoughts on what our new reality is, and dear America, I will not get over it.

I will not get over it because the morning after, I felt scared of walking outside. Every boy on my floor had voted Republican and groupthink is stronger than individual actions. I feared walking outside and listen to what every minority is used to hearing: hatred. I feared walking around in my own skin. I will not get over it for me.

I will not get over it because I saw my black friend in college breakdown and cry in class. She is the person that is always optimistic, but somehow, completely shattered in my arms. She feared what I feared. Let's talk about another friend, one who were a shirt that stated she wasn't her ancestors and she was not afraid to talk back if you said the wrong thing to her. Do you know the courage that takes? To know that you're going to experience the hatred but knowing you will rise above. They fear what were so immune to hearing now, the hatred spewed unto us for many generations. I will not get over it for my black brothers and sisters.

I will not get over it because hundreds of families fear being torn apart. These are the people who came, just like all of your predecessors for opportunities. These are the people who are too poor in their countries, who fear the corruption of their governments, who fear the violence sweeping their nation. These are my friends and family and neighbors. I will not get over it for the hardworking immigrant families.

I will not get over it because Trump has brought out the hatred in America. Racism exists, it never disappeared, but now it is more rampant. I have seen countless examples of how racist Trump supporters have harmed people because Trump is "Making America White Again." We are not sad or being immature because our candidate didn't win. We are genuinely scared of the hatred he has awakened in people against any marginalized group. I will not get over it for the promise of lady liberty:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

I will not get over it because somewhere in America, a teacher had to explain to young kids that hatred is not something we accept in that school or in this country. She had to explain that grabbing people is not okay and that being of a different nationality or religion is okay. Somewhere in America, a teacher had to tell young kids that they need not fear. Somewhere, there was a little minority kid that had their small heart filled with sadness; their feet were heavy and reluctant to walk to school; their small mind wondering what they should be scared and from whom; the heaviest of feelings deep in their stomach reminding them that they were different, and the new president said that's not okay. I will not get over it for the scared youth of this country.

I will not get over it because people will call Clinton corrupt, but hail Trump and Pence as honest businessmen and politicians. Would it surprise you to know that Pence used political donations to pay for his home mortgage, his personal credit card and grocery bills, golf tournament fees and his wife’s car payments in 1990? I need not go into Trump's corruption passed the point that he makes his wealth off the backs of the middle class.

I will not get over it because, had the results been different, Republicans would not have let down the fact that Trump won the popular vote but lost the Electoral. They would have cried foul, yelled "rigged elections", and boasted how "Crooked Killary" was never going to be their president. Clinton would be on impeached within two years. I will not get over it because that glass ceiling is still there.

I will not get over it because of the Trump campaign. Explain to every POC who gets ostracized by their skin color, every woman who has experienced sexual assault or rape, every LGBTQ person who waits as Pence vowed to strip them of their rights, every Muslim who is being labeled a terrorist because of their religious belief, and every other marginalized group why half of the country voted for two men who put the very safety of people on the line. Explain to them why they do not matter as people. Explain to them why it's okay to vote for a person that doesn't want them. Let them know that you voted for someone who openly opposes them. Let them know that you made it possible for a man to be put into power and that you're indirectly the reason they have to live in fear.

I will not get over this loss because the win is built on hate. I pray that Trump is more moderate than he seems and that he was a populist to gain your vote. Tell me what you want, that I need to grow up and accept it, that Crooked Hillary got what she deserved, etc. But dear America, don't tell me and thousands of others to get over it when we fear for our future. Know that we are willing to protest and fight to maintain those blessings of liberty that many of you take for granted. Know that we will not be silenced and that while we fear the future, we are not scared to fight it. Remember how much the right opposed Obama? With that same strength, we will oppose every hateful policy Trump tries to impose.

Sincerely,

The Outspoken Minority