Dear 2017, Thanks for Being the Best Year Yet

I am just super grateful for all of my experiences in this past year and for how much they helped me to grow

1267
Vanessa Fiore

In 2017, I realized how I had been holding myself back. This year was all about growing.

I started out my year with cheer as I always do. I went to Nationals and got to go to Disney. Less than 24 hours from arriving home from Disney, I was on a plane to Italy. While studying abroad, I got to learn all about myself and make life long friends from all over the United States. The entire experience helped me to grow by meeting people from different countries that had different experiences from myself. I was able to meet and work with refugees and hear their stories. I am beyond grateful for this experience because it helped me to understand the world and people a bit more.

I then returned home, which was probably my lowest point of 2017. Coming back from studying abroad can leave anyone crushed and low after flying high for so long. I sank into that low for about a month, but I was able to find my passions again when I started working at Amazon. I absolutely hated working there, except for some amazing people that I met, but it helped me channel my sadness into anger and frustration at corporations. This experience helped me to come to terms with my dislike for big companies and to know that at some point in my life, I have to do something to change how they operate.

In June, I took a week off from Amazon and flew to New Orleans to go to Essence Festival. That was just another great thing to add to the list of making 2017 great. I was able to see Diana Ross and Mary J. Blige in concert. There were other incredible parts to this, but you can read that in my article all about Essence. Later that summer, I went to my last cheer camp and had the best time. We won first place in all of the awards. Camp this year made me realize that I can be a good leader, a different leader, but a good one nonetheless.

Then, it was time to go back to school and start my senior year of college. Starting classes in the US again was a transition, but I soon got back into the swing of things and really was loving my classes. Eventually September came around and my best friend, Francesca, turned 21. I followed a couple weeks later, and we were really excited to celebrate by going to Rho with our friend, Taylor, and Cesca’s boyfriend, CJ. We had a fun night and had a few other fun nights throughout the semester. Turning 21 was a great experience, and it made me realize that I am truly an adult. I have started to learn to take real responsibility but have also realized that I can still have fun sometimes too.

This semester was also about applying to law school. I am happy to say that I have gotten into 3 schools so far, including my top choice, CUNY. So, 2017 makes me believe that 2018 is going to start great as well.

I’m excited for this year to end and the new one to begin because I believe that I will only continue to grow. I am very glad that I get to end and start the years with my team for the last time. I know that they are my rock, always, and that they will be my foundation going into next year. 2018 is about allowing myself to thrive and adjusting to the highest vision of myself.