Dealing With The Loss Of A Loved One

Dealing With The Loss Of A Loved One

A piece for Grams, I love you.

3
Dealing With The Loss Of A Loved One
Tami Bohan

My grandmother was one of the strongest people I knew. I have so many memories of me and my sister sleeping over at my Grams and Gramps’ house. We used to play dominoes, they would help me with my math homework, and we would always have veal cutlets for dinner. One time me and Jordan even got Grams to play “just dance” on Nintendo Wii, I still have the video of it. Me and Jordan used to get obnoxious after dessert, running around the house like lunatics after all the sugar. After we finally settled down we would go snuggle up in bed with her and watch TV with her until we all fell asleep.

Every morning I would wake up to the smell of burnt something, credit to Gramps, for not being able to cook. I always remember Grams as a creative person, always trying to cook something new, and inspiring my sister’s interest in cooking.

I remember her always being at every single one of my sports games, whether it be early in the morning or in the pouring rain. She was my number 1 fan. I could always hear her cheering me on.

After having a stroke, she was admitted to a rehab facility. I remember going to visit her there, it was one of the saddest things. I did not like seeing my strong grandmother struggling to feed herself because of the toll the stroke took on her. I tried my best to remember the good things, but it was hard.

On December 6th, I left work early and drove right over to the hospital. As soon as I walked into the emergency room I was embraced by my mother’s arms, beginning to sob. I looked at Grams laying on that hospital bed, how could this be happening? Just a year ago she was fine. How did this happen so quickly?

My whole family was there, my aunts, uncles, cousins. I sat on the bed next to her for as long as I could. I remember seeing her struggle to breathe, every time thinking this is it. It was so hard seeing my mother cry. It did not feel real. She passed away around 8pm that night, I held her hand through all of it, and tried to tell myself she was in a better place. Seeing my Gramps cry was the most painful. I could hardly look at him, feeling in pain for seeing him so sad.

The toll it took on my mother, or the sadness in Gramps’ eyes made everything so much harder. I could never have imagined this happening, I felt so useless because I couldn’t help.

The good memories I have of her is what makes it easy to think about her. Everyday I remember something about her and hold onto that. I know she is still with me, once in a while she will be in my dreams and I know that is her way of watching over me and letting me know she is there.