How to Deal With Stress As A College Student

8 Ways To Deal With College Stress When You're Drowning In Everything

We all experience stress but there's plenty of ways to manage it.

797
Chine Okeke

As college students, we deal with stress on an almost daily basis in the form of exams, assignments, and even people. These 8 things are what can always help me in these tough times, and I hope they can help someone else who is struggling out there. I know these are all things that we've probably all heard before, but there's nothing wrong with getting reminded of them every once in a while.

1. Get a planner

I feel like this is such an important thing that is not emphasized nearly as much as it should be. Getting a planner (aka a notebook where you write down everything you need to get down that day) is SO important. You can always go digital and use the Notes app on your phone but there is truly no greater feeling than crossing items off your planner.

2. Get ahead of your work

Unlike most high schools, your college professors give you a very extensive syllabus that for the most part covers everything you're going to get done that semester. Make it your best friend!

I would advise reading through the syllabus of each of your classes every Sunday night and making a note of any reading, projects, etc. that you need to get done that week so that you're not pressured to start something the night before.

3. Find friends in your classes to study with

Make friends with the people who sit around you, especially if it's a smaller class because that means that you're less likely to just meet someone who's in that class. Not only are you going to make some new friends, but you'll also gain some new study buddies who can help you out.

4. Pay attention when teachers are talking about tests in class 

A lot of my professors, especially before the first test, talked a little bit about what the questions were going to be like as well as the format of the tests. Pay attention and maybe take notes when this is happening because it will make your studying a little bit more strategic because you have an idea of what to expect.

5. Don't wait until the last minute to study for major tests

If no one has ever told you this, I will: WAITING UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE TO START STUDYING FOR A TEST IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. Don't do it ever. Exams are generally the most important part of your GPA so why would you not take it seriously? I've found that the best way to study for exams is by doing a little bit every day for at least a week before your exam is.

Even if you've been pulling an all-nighter the night before and been getting along just fine, there will come a day that that just won't just cut it. So please just stop.

6. Take a break once in a while but ...

As important as exams and projects are, you can't overwork yourself trying to get things done. If you have too much on your plate, attempting to work is kind of useless in my opinion because you can't put 100% of your effort into any of the things you need to get done. So take that nap, or go on that walk; your mind and body will thank you later.

7. ... be intentional about the decisions you make.

However, remember that every grade you make is a result of the decisions you made. So make sure that every decision that you are making with regards to how you are spending your time is not something that you will eventually regret.

8. Talk to someone about how you're feeling

If you're feeling overwhelmed, please talk to someone. Whether it's a counselor, a family member or a friend, allow someone else to carry your burden with you. Keeping things bottled up inside only makes them worse in the long run because you haven't given yourself the opportunity to really come to terms with you're feeling. Sharing them with some opens up the room for solutions and acknowledgement of the problems you're having.