When You're Dealing With People You Can’t Stand

Everyone has that one person.

83

We all know the feeling.

You walk into class, work, or even a family event, and everything’s fine. You’re having a good time, working hard, learning stuff, and having a nice conversation.

Then everything changes when that ONE person walks in.

Everything they say makes you roll your eyes further into the back of your head. You’re just thinking to yourself, “SHUT UP. NO ONE CARES”.

You don’t know why, but everything single thing they do pisses you off. Somehow, they manage to be cocky, annoying, or rude ALL the time.

How is that even possible?

Personally, I can think of a few people who really push my buttons. They never really gave me a reason for it; I just really cannot stand everything they do.

I don’t know about you, but when I don’t like someone, it’s very difficult for me to hide that fact.

I’m constantly rolling my eyes, grunting, and even walking away from conversations that start to irk me.

Like... can you not?

Because we are human and nowhere near perfect, this might happen a little more often than we’d like. Personally, I’d love to be a little more tolerant of people.

In fact, being more patient is one of my new year’s resolutions that I’m hopefully doing a better job of.

Therefore, I’d like to share some helpful tips when, dare I say, dealing with people you can’t stand.

Accept that you can’t be friends with everyone, especially when it comes to classmates or coworkers.

While it would be nice to be friendly with everyone in the world, it’s just not practical. You are going to meet people you bash heads with, and sometimes that’s okay.

Figure out why that person bothers you. What is it about them that drives you crazy?

Is it a practical complaint, or are you being irrational? Once you figure this out, maybe it’ll be easier for you to manage it.

Observe how others interact with them. In my own experience, in certain situations, I’ve had a lot of people agree with me when I say that something or someone irks me.

Somehow, everyone else just seems to deal with it better than me! So recently I’ve been seeing how other people react to similar situations and try to mirror their behavior.

Stay positive!

As Willie Nelson once said, “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results."

Almost anything can be achieved with a positive attitude! Yes, even dealing with people you can’t stand.

These may not work for everyone, but ultimately it’s a step in the right direction. At the end of the day, dealing positively with people that annoy you will save you plenty of drama, complaints, and headaches.