Dealing With Grief and Loss During The Holidays

The holidays tend to bring up many emotions. Some good and some bad, but it is important to focus on the good.

32

What comes to mind when you think of something you have lost? Is it a loved on? Or maybe a relationship. Or maybe even an item, that held a lot of meaning. Whatever the case may be, does the Holiday season make the loss more difficult to deal with? It seems that the Holidays bring up a lot of emotion, sometimes making grieving more difficult. Or in other cases, people have lost loved ones during this time of the year, which brings back unwanted memories. I feel as though people misconstrue loss. Of course losing someone or something that holds a lot of value is terrible and difficult and I never wish that pain on someone. However, a loss could also be looked at as, beautiful, and inspiring. Beautiful because it is a time to think, and reflect on what has happened and what has been lost. If it is a loved one, this would be a time where friends and family gather for each other, and tell lovely stories and share memories and remember why that person was so important, and why it is so painful that they have gone. Losing someone is never easy, however, people can help take that extra weight, because as hard as it may be, grieving should never be done alone. The comfort of friends and family can help, and that is what your passed loved ones would have wanted.

How could a loss be inspiring? Well, it can make or break a person. People often times lose themselves because of sadness, or they face their struggles and come out a better and stronger person. Losing anything can define some people. Some for the better others for the worse. But I say do not let pain and heartache define you. Accept it, remember it, and grow from it. Be graceful. Be kind. No one deserves to feel pain so unbearable where they lose their light, their happiness in the process. It is safe to assume that whoever you may have lost, loved you unconditionally, and would not want their loved ones to suffer. They would want you to remember all of the good times, and hold on to them, and never forget. I am not saying that it will be easy. It most certainly will take a lot of courage and a lot of strength. However, as long as you have the strength to fight against that weight that feels it is crushing your heart, you will have the strength to be happy in the face of sadness and by doing so, makes you that much better of a person, and you will become an inspiration to those around you, and to the ones who are no longer with you.

The Holidays are a time for family, love, and cheer. Hold on to the ones who can not join you this Holiday. Celebrate with them in mind. As much as you wish they could be here to celebrate with you, remember that they are. As long as you keep them alive in your heart and mind, you will never miss a holiday with them. And by doing so you keep their spirit alive. Keep the old traditions alive, share them with others. Remember all the wonderful holidays you had with them, and remember you are not alone regardless what the circumstances may be. I know many people in my life who are dealing with the emotions of a great loss. I feel as though it is important to know that no one is alone in this. Experiencing loss is just a part of life. Instead of dwell on the negative, let happiness win. Be happy, and continue to live the way your loved one would have wanted you to. Be dignified, and respect yourself just as much as that person once did. They are no longer able to be here, which is not fair. With that being said, their life can no longer continue, but yours can. It would be unfair to put your lives on hold because there are people who did not have that choice. Life should most certainly not be taken for granted. So grieve, feel pain, and cry until you can not possibly produce any more tears. But after, smile, breathe, and whip away the tears, because it will get better, and you are not alone.

I would like to give my condolences to those who have lost someone. I am terribly sorry. I would also like to wish everyone a Happy Holidays, I do hope it is full of love and happy. We have our whole lives to be sad. Let the holidays be a time of peace and enjoy them with people who care about us.