break-up, remedy, feeling better, relationships
relationships

7 Post Break-Up Remedies to Make You Feel Better

The things we need to do to get over an ex, and be prepared for the next.

152
Naquan

1. Contacting Friends

Friends are the people you could always rely on, so it goes without saying that you would look to them for comfort. With friends, you can vent to them about what went wrong, what you wish would happen, and how you feel. And by the end, your friends will be there to encourage you and pass you a drink.

2. Listening to Music

There is a song for every feeling. After a break-up, you may want to listen to something sad and down at first like "Breakdown" by Mariah Carey or "Denial" by Greg Dean featuring Mykal Kilgore. But then a bit later you may want to listen and possibly sing a more upbeat song like "Sorry Not Sorry" by Demi Lovato or "Alright" by Kendrick Lamar. Make a playlist for every emotion that you may feel if a break-up arises.

3. Treat Yo Self

Embody the famous Parks & Recreation reference at least for a day. You can indulge in some fine dining, a massage, a shopping spree, or even sports. Engage in whatever positive experience that will make you feel better after a break-up.

4. Working Out

Sweat away your negative emotions by going to the gym, running, or doing an at-home workout. It may seem a bit daunting if you do not do it often, but you will feel good and more relaxed afterwards.

5. Write It Out

Get a journal or a diary and write how you feel on paper. No one has to read it or see it. Oprah famously encouraged people to write things out on paper and throw it away to get a sense of peace. You can throw it away, or you could keep it privately somewhere. Free writing in a journal allows you to express your initial and authentic thoughts in a way that you understand. And when you close that book, there is a great feeling of relief.

6. Turn To Faith & Mind

For those who believe in a higher power or spiritual energy, relying on your faith can be helpful. Praying and/or meditating can provide insight into who you are and how you will move on past this break-up. For those who follow a religion, there is always a scripture that can communicate a deeper meaning to you. And for those who practice mindfulness, you can clear your negative thoughts away and feel refreshed.

7. Be Around Your Family

Taking a visit to see your family can possibly be the most rewarding remedy. Your family are often the people who know you the best, and who will care for you no matter what. They are on your side, and will support you through a difficult time such as a break-up. Family will remind you of how special and great you are, and nudge you to move on. It is like a getting a boost of energy to reengage with the world. And personally, my family is a big. And it gets bigger, because I see my friends as family too!