Five Highlights From The 'Days of Rage' First Preview

I saw the new play "Days of Rage" premier October 9th. Here are some elements that stood out.

255
Becca Jones

This show takes place in October of 1969, just before the Days of Rage riots in Chicago that protested the Vietnam War. This thought-provoking play had many special elements in it, including some of the ones below.

The Set

Imagine if you took a house and cut it right down the middle, that is what this set looked like. Even the books, the couches, the chairs were sliced in half towards the end of the set up to show that we were looking into the house. And that open-house set up /moved/ as well. It was on wheels and apparently, according to an understudy, the set shifted backwards when the actors were upstairs so the people in the front rows could see better, and forwards during the more chaotic scene. The set shifted all the way to the front of the stage at the end, so much so I thought it was going to fall off, to make us feel like we were really inside of the house. If that is not incredible set design, I don't know what is.

The Costumes

Paloma Young's costume design is superb in this show. The show takes place in October of 1969, and the way Young designed the costumes is absolutely perfect. From the muted, burnt colors to the long-sleeved sweaters and slightly bell-bottomed pants, the costuming harkens back to that age while also remaining very modern. The costuming is done in a way that the action could very well be taking place in either the late 1960s or with a very trendy group today, which helps maintain and improve the relevance of this piece.

The Script

Steven Levenson did it again. As with Dear Evan Hansen, Levenson brought humor and grace to a piece about such a serious topic. His writing made it so the actors could make the audience laugh with ease. His writing through the whole show was consistently intriguing, thought-provoking, and mind-blowing. This is definitely one of the most advanced and intricate plots I have experienced in any form of theatre I have ever seen, and Levenson pulled it off with amazing results.

The Cast

Everyone in this show was phenomenal, from beginning to end. I sat close enough that I could see the intensity in Mike Faist's eyes, that I could see the tears in them that stayed reliably through the end portion of the play, I could see him fully embody the character and emotions. Odessa Young was feisty but shaped the character so well that we could see the sensitive side too, and the same with the seemingly-cold Jenny played by Lauren Patten. Tavi Gevinson who played Peggy facilitated what was easily the most intense plot twist I have ever seen, and J. Alphonse Nicholson never failed to bring much needed comic relief to such a heavy show, and bring reason and contrast to such extremes.

The Music

If you're into 60's punk rock music, this is the show for you. While it is not a full-blown musical, music is used during scene changes and key scenes in the show, and the music helps keep the viewer engaged in the setting of the piece while allowing time for actors to change scenes, costumes, etc. The music captures the rebellious spirit of the show and is definitely a crucial touch in the production.

This is definitely a life-changing show, and I highly recommend seeing it if possible. This must-see show is showing through November 25th at the Tony Kiser Theatre. This is, without a doubt, an unmissable event for anyone interested in theatre and thought-provoking entertainment.