TV Shows About Relationships

10 Great TV Shows On Intimate Relationships

Modern television shows that depict intimate relationships realistically.

1788
https://unsplash.com/photos/PpYOQgsZDM4

It goes without saying that people form a lot of their ideas about relationships from their surroundings, and that includes the television shows they watch. Some people form expectations based on the relationship dynamics that they see on-screen. And since some people do this unknowingly, it is ideal to try to direct your attention to shows like these.

1.     Insecure

This HBO show portrays the subtleties and complexities of modern day relationships. The main character and those around her try to navigate adulting with the uncertainty of their personal relationships. As a viewer, you get to unpack the motivations behind some of their decisions, and predict what may happen next. And it is innovative and naturally funny.

2.     Love

This Netflix show dives headfirst into an awkward encounter between two people, which leads to a rollercoaster relationship. The two main characters are strikingly different, and are meeting during bad periods of their lives, but that is actually what draws them to each other. As a viewer, you will be wondering the entire time "will they, won't they?"

3.     Grown-ish

This Freeform show captures the essence of the current emerging adulthood generation. The main character and her friends embody the different perspectives of Generation Z, and deal with their ambiguity through pop culture, miscommunication, and social media. And though the show is a spin-off of another show, viewers can jump right into the lives of these characters without any pretense and feel like they are friends with them too.

4.     Easy

This Netflix show taps into the mundane activities of various characters in the same city as they try to form relationships and maintain existing ones. The characters are introduced as flawed, but all seem to have hope for success in their lives. They just keep assuming that many things, including their relationships, are supposed to be easy.

5.     The Affair

This Showtime show displays the different narrative perspectives of an extramarital affair and everyone affected. The show purposefully does not clearly define what is the truth, so viewers are forced to piece together different details to determine what is the truth. The message the show appears to be eliciting is that an affair is never just an affair, it is more intricate and complex than some people may think.

6.     Dear White People

This Netflix show connects race to modern day relationships in a way that is relatable to everyone watching. The characters form feelings for others, but question their identities and beliefs in the process. In other words, the show bridges the gap between love, race, and expectations.

7.     All Night

This Hulu show takes you to high school where characters have one night to express their true feelings to the ones they like before they all go their separate ways. The show leaves you thinking what you wish you said to those you liked in high school.

8.     Lovesick

This Netflix show forces viewers to reflect. The main character is forced to contact his previous relationships, and in doing so, he recalls the experiences he had with them. As a viewer shifting from past to present, you see the similarities and differences between the main characters and others from then to now. What if you had to reach out to your exes, how do you think that would go?

9.     Master of None

This Netflix show focuses on the nuances of modern day relationships as adults. The main character and supporting characters are dealing with the challenges of letting go their ideals and expectations, and facing the reality of their current lives.

10.     Everything Sucks

This Netflix show provides all the nostalgia of young teenage life in the 90s. Viewers begin to see that the melodramatic and confusion about relationships, may actually be rooted in deep and impactful circumstances.

Happy Binge-watching!