A Day In The Life As A Theatre Major, As Told By ‘Parks And Rec’

We really do live complicated lives.
175

I’ve heard it on and on. “You wanted an easy degree” or “Maybe you should pick something worthwhile.

Maybe you’re right, but pay my tuition and I’ll let you have a say. However, being a theatre major doesn’t involve much if you aren’t in shows, but if you are in shows, you dedicate your time, sweat, and tears to something that won’t really be counted on a resume. The experience works, though.

parks and rec no GIFparks and rec GIF

Andy is a sweet soul, not all there but talented in the arts. He does his best to be supportive of any issue that is going on even if he doesn’t understand it fully.

parks and recreation lol GIF by Amy Poehler's Smart Girls

My attitude towards being a theatre major is more of an April Ludgate. I have the potential, but I just don’t want to do it, even if I want the good grade.

parks and recreation GIF

Being a theatre major consists of a day where I start off going to the gym because keeping up with your body and taking care of yourself is the top priority of an actor. Which sucks because all I want is pizza and a nap.

andy dwyer GIF

After the gym, I have about two seconds before my acting class begins, and if I have to perform a monologue or scene, I must dress the part, even if I don’t know what to wear. And THAT is more of a pain if you have to walk to class in 75-degree weather wearing a pantsuit.

steve bannon beer GIF

The next class I have involves a lot of reading that is pretty much pointless to me but according to the curriculum it’s for self-growth, if that’s a thing. Half the time, I don't even know what I'm doing but I just put a lot of eloquent sentences together and I get a nod from my professor and move on.

andy dwyer i have no idea what im doing GIF

That night, I have to work on my prep pages, scene scores, learning my lines. Being a theatre major isn’t much work and it’s confusing, but there isn’t another major I would rather be doing. I mean, the major doesn’t ask for many many math classes, and it only asks for a little bit of your brain and your soul. All we really do is act and look pretty. Sometimes.

parks and recreation nbc GIF