Its Game Over, I'm Not Playing Games To Win A Partner's Heart

A partner isn't a trophy, so why do we keep playing games to 'win' one?

74
Lauren Barnette

Dating in your 20's is a game, and you either play the game or get played. That being said, I'd like to flip the script and make my own rules. I refuse to play games with people I'm attracted to in order to 'make them want me' out of some sort of mind trick of pretending to be uninterested or holding back my emotions so they can fall for someone I'm not.

At the end of the day, I can be 'needy' by some definition, I want to share my feelings, and I want people to know how I feel because it isn't worth my time or theirs for either of us to be sitting in the dark, sometimes literally, wondering if I'm into them. I don't necessarily want a serious relationship at the point in my life I am in, but I want those involved with me to know what they're getting into from the get-go.

I am the type of person who prides themselves on being transparent and authentic in all aspects of my life. I don't have the time or the energy to make up lies, act differently than my heart desires, or keep secrets from others when there's no need for secrets to be kept. If I'm interested in you, you will know. And if you don't know, I'm probably not interested. I've been laughed at by friends for being blatantly not subtle about my feelings towards potential partners, and for a while, I did think I was ~slightly~ subtle, but I have since embraced my directness.

So what? I'm not afraid for people to know that I'm into them, they have the green light to move forward and let me know their feelings back if they feel so inclined. I welcome the same energy from anyone interested in me as a friend or more, be open, full send, and see what happens! There is no harm in being authentic instead of hiding a part of yourself. Let's leave playing games to game night and be more open with others about our true feelings even when we don't yet understand them!