I'm An Extrovert Dating An Introvert, Here's Why It Works

I'm An Extrovert Dating An Introvert, And Being Opposite Is What Makes Us Attract

He's the yin to my yang.

59

I've never really been in a serious relationship until now. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost six months and it's been nothing but bliss. We, of course, have disagreements, but we never fight. I feel that there is a huge difference between the two. Our communication is a dream.

I'm not trying to brag at all, I just owe a lot of this to the fact that he and I are complete opposites.

I'm the kind of person who thrives off of human interaction and socialization. I am extremely chatty. I could have a conversation with a brick wall if I wanted to. On the other hand, my boyfriend is completely fine with most of his time being alone. He gets a little worn out from large amounts of social interaction. He's much more thoughtful when it comes to conversation. I honestly envy him at times.

This is not to say that he is not great at holding a conversation. He just isn't as good as I am at talking to people and being swooped up in group settings — he just doesn't get his energy from those kinds of interactions. Neither type of person is superior to the other, they simply function differently.

I've started to notice that because of these differences, he is able to give me a sense of balance in my life.

He is very grounded while I tend to be a little scatterbrained and capricious. Whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed or anxious about the constant thoughts bouncing around inside my brain, he is the force that calms me. His energy enables me to find some peace within a panic.

In social settings, if I feel myself becoming too enthusiastic and… well… loud, his vitality reins me back in. I am beyond thankful for that. I feel like yin and yang when I'm with him. Sometimes his dynamic is even unspoken which is wild. I never feel muted or brought down by him. In fact, I feel more in control of myself when he's around.

He gives my extroverted behavior stability.

Our communication also works because if we have hard discussions about concerns within our relationship, nothing ever blows out of proportion. Even if I feel like getting a little too worked up about something, his calm nature pulls me back in and our conversations remain secure and steady. That's why I never consider disagreements we have as fights.

When I picture a fight, I picture voices being raised and vast overreactions. Being who I am, I could easily raise my voice and overreact, but dating an introvert keeps me composed. It's difficult to explain how someone's energy can help a person feel at peace, but that's my current experience and it has been remarkable.

I am honestly not sure if he feels like I balance him out as well.

I'm obviously hoping that my being an extrovert helps him in the same way he helps me. What we have seems to be working seamlessly thus far. Of course, I understand it's only been six months and we have such a long way to go, but I also know that because I feel so grounded by him this early that this is bound to last a long time.

If you are an extrovert, I highly recommend having a significant other that is an introvert. Opposites really do attract! If I were to date someone who functions the same way I do, I think my life would be full of constant competition and chaos, so next time you're on a first date, ask your date what their Myers-Briggs personality type is. It might be the most important question of the night. To all you extroverts out there, I wish you the best of luck on finding your introvert. I hope you all live happily ever after.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.