The Success Of The Netflix Original Series Daredevil

Spoiler Alert.

72
tumblr.com

When Disney and Marvel announced in 2013 that a live action series of "Daredevil" would be released on Netflix, many had doubts that the show would be able to overshadow 2003's infamous "Daredevil" flop. However, the show's success proved that not only did it cast a very dark shadow over the disastrous movie, but also they may just have very well made critics and fans everywhere forget that it ever happened.

When watching a show, always take into consideration all the details that can make or break a series. One of those particular details includes the opening title. Perfection is what describes visualizing and hearing the opening title of "Daredevil." As the music progresses, the intensity of the sounds are coupled by the many aspects Daredevil cherishes the most and fights to protect. Most notably are the important landmarks that led him to become the formidable foe to all the vicious and dangerous men that plot to destroy the peace of Hell’s Kitchen. In all, the opening title is a true testament to Matt Murdock’s character and his convictions.

The first season gave us a glimpse of what each of the show's characters are capable of doing when pushed past their limits. Truly proving the long-told phrase that an animal is most dangerous when cornered.

One of the many highlights of "Daredevil" during season one was seeing the struggle Matt faced establishing a barrier between his law-abiding citizen persona and his Daredevil character. You could see in his eyes (ha!) during every episode how these two distinct parts tore him. And it wasn't just himself it was tearing; the life he'd spent a long time forging suffered greatly as well. It was especially hard to see his relationship with his best bud Foggy fall apart after finding out he was the crime-fighting vigilante. But not before Foggy raised eyebrows on how a supposedly blind man can fight dangerous, and armed, evil men.

Something remarkable that I noticed in the well-crafted storylines was, as an audience who's supposed to only root for the good guys and never the bad guys, sometimes I ended up rooting for the bad guy. Being able to see how the bad guys came to be at critical moments, or seeing them turn into someone decent after they've been repeatedly beaten down, and even falling in love, was refreshing and quite honest. Evil wasn't flat, evil didn't just have one goal, one purpose in life (to destroy). Evil had fears, love, anger, embarrassment, friendships and family. Evil was, simply put, relatable.

After the first season's shocking and triumphant finish, it was expected that the citizens and the police force of Murdock's beloved Hell's Kitchen would have all the crimes that terrorized them go down with Wilson Fisk. But, as you know, when you take down one bad guy, you just unleash an even bigger bad guy that's (typically) even worse than its predecessor. Our Hell's Kitchen devil hero's troubles have just begun.

One of the things that really struck during the second season was seeing Daredevil face serious moral complications that could destroy the sanctity of who he was as a person and his relationships with those close to him. Murdock/Daredevil uncovers that, oftentimes, someone you thought was your enemy and needed to destroy at all costs could turn out to be your ally. But, most importantly, unfinished businesses from your past will always eventually come back to haunt you.The emotions unleashed in this implication revealed him to be a pitiable and isolated character. It is important for audiences to see their heroes in a way that proves that they are indeed human above all else, despite their heroic ventures.

The show's success doesn't just end or begin with the remarkable story plots. The show's success lies in the actors who dedicate their time perfecting each character's unique essence and bringing them to life, never wavering our hearts, convincing us that truly they were meant for the role. The show's success also lies in the costume and makeup departments' ability to grasp that they should not stray from the comic book characters' normal fittings (thank god). Finally, the show's success lies in its dedicated fan base, who make sure that with each passing season the show's writers, creators, costume designers and actors know what they could do to improve and honor Marvel Cinematic Universe.