24 Things You Definitely Won't Understand If You're Not A Dancer

Yes, I love my calluses. Thank you.

804
Unsplash

We dancers, we have some strange habits. We do things that are foreign to non-dancers, things that non-dancers try to, but can never understand. The day we committed to the artistry and allowed for it to consume a majority of our time, was the same day we allowed dance to completely run our lives. We do things that other athletes can't. We say things that leave our friends in sheer confusion. And we have habits that leave people wondering where in the world we could have possibly picked them up from. Although our actions and mannerism are "weird" to others, what's foreign to them is completely native to us. Those who aren't dancers can never relate, but our friends can vouch for us and say they've experienced us do or say these next 24 things.

1. When people think you're "twitching" but really you're just mentally choreographing.

No there is no need to call an ambulance. We are completely aware that we look crazy to the naked eye but when the music plays, no matter if we're sitting in traffic or walking in the middle of a shopping center, we automatically start choreographing in our head. *And a 1- hit, 2- click*

2. The odd unofficial terminology.

"Zoom," "Pah," "Yah," "Ha-Ha," "Oooohhh AH," "now milk it 7...8."

Oh you know, that means "quick- hit sharp, prepare, hit a double, calypso out and melt 7, 8".

3. NEVER a moment without a hair tie on your wrist.

Yes, we always have a hair tie on us, and no, we don't want to lend it to you. Chances are we've already stretched the hair tie out perfectly enough to wrap around our pony tails

4. Breaking out into full choreography in the middle of the club.

Formations and everything, solo or with other dancers, make room because we're about to put on a show. If your friends with dancers you've probably experienced this first hand and when at the club, you'll double as their biggest hype team.

5. Being the most awkward ones at the club.

What is social dance? What is club dance? How do I dance? We can go from full out professional dancer to making it look like we can't dance at all. Don't ask why because we don't know either.

6. Going months without painting your toe nails.

The only time we paint our toes is for special occasions. Why paint them if the polish is going to chip off the next day? We'd rather have no polish than a disastrous chipped mess. The struggle is real my friends.

7. DO NOT TOUCH MY CALLUSES!

On those rare occasions where we pay a trip to the pedicurist, we can not stress enough the danger of removing our calluses. One man's trash is another man's treasure. These calluses are my treasure.

8. Who sits criss-cross apple sauce anymore?

Our friends know it all too well. When it comes to doing work, we open our legs into a wide second position stance and stretch as we study or finish our homework. Our friends stare at us in awe as all they see is the pain that is not, but should, be apparent. We sit in the car with our legs in the air, and at the table with our legs spread out on the seats next to us.

9. You are your own personal chiropractor.

We have the magical ability to crack every type of bone in our body. We crack joints that one didn't know could be cracked. From spine to ankles, to neck, to tailbone, we can crack anything while looking pretty funny too.

10. You can spot a dancer from a mile away.

It takes one to know one, and trust me, we can tell. We can spot a dancer by the way they stand in a crowd, but the way their toes face when they walk and even by the way they dress. It's like a 6th sense. You can't fool us.

11. "Sorry I can't I have dance."

Your friends hate this sentence. They let out that dramatic sigh the moment you say you can't be somewhere because of dance. Even though they fully support you they still pretend to act surprised when you say you can't come.

12. Tasks take you 10x longer than they should.

Instead of 1 hour, it takes you 3. Why? Because you probably have music playing and you already know what happens when you have music playing. You dance. Whether it's homework, dishes, laundry, literally anything, completing the task will not take you the same amount of time it would a nondancer.

13. You have music playing 24/7.

All day, every day. If you're not listening to music, there is a problem that must be addressed immediately.

14. You pick up the lyrics to a song after the first chorus.

I'm not saying all dancers can sing. What I'm saying is that we've been exposed to so many songs that we've evolved to pick up a habit of predicting the lyrics to a song we hear for the first time. We pick up the rhythm and just vibe.

15. You remember choreography from years ago, but nothing else.

Don't ask us what we had for lunch yesterday, or what we learned in class last week, instead, put on an old number and we'll be ready to perform it for you without hesitation.

16. You probably have Beyoncè's Single Ladies routine down and look good doing it.

Not only do you have the flipping of the hand motion down, but you can even do the "march and snap" thing pretty dang well too.

17. Walking out in public in your dance clothes is no biggie.

You've reached the point where you'd rather be in your dance clothes than anything else. It doesn't bother you go out and grab a bite, or to run errands in your dance clothes. Only haters gonna hate.

18. Your feet are your second set of hands.

You use your feet for not so feet type of things. You pick up items from the floor using your feet, you open doors with your feet, and you even rearrange furniture using your feet. Why use your hands??

19. You re-watch the same routine 50,000 times.

You rewatch a dance video of yours countless of times to point out every little thing you could have done better. People think you're crazy, but I guess it's just another one of those

20. Nothing excites you more than open space, dim lights, and mirrors along a wall.

As a dancer, the simplest things excite you. Open space and low lights are enough to put a smile on your face and get you to start improving.

21. What is a messy bun?

You know what, I think it's better we just leave this one up for discussion.

22. You hear music differently.

We never vibe to music in sync with our nondancer friends. We hear music completely different from other people. They hear a constant beat and rhythm while we hear like twelve all at once.

23. The "don't talk to me I am focusing on the dancers and the life they're giving me" face.

You know that face we make!!! That scary one that we make when we're really feeling a performance. The one where our chin is down and our eyes are fixed on the dancers in front of us. Our heads may even sway a bit as we mimic the movements of the dancers.

24. "I had a dance to this."

If our friends have to hear us say this line one more time they are honestly going to get rid of us.

Being a dancer is pretty awesome if you ask me. We live life differently from the way other people do, and if I had anything else to say about us, it would be that we make people's lives a tad bit more exciting. Shout out to all my dancers out there and all our friends and family that have the patience to put up with our unusualness.