Dan Cummins Is Your Next Podcast Obsession

Just when you think you are safe, he tells the next crazy story that absolutely couldn't be true!

562
Duncan Shaffer

As technological advances occur, society adapts by taking to new forms of social media. From plays to radios to television to streaming, we are in constant search for the next best method of entertainment; the best way to share information.

Podcasts have become one of the dozens of trending media outlets today. A bizarre step backwards, podcasts are audio files in which a "host," of sorts, aims either to entertain or inform their audiences, or perhaps both. Some podcasts offer advice; some offer a place of connection for like-minded listeners.

Of these podcasts, one of the most successful, in my opinion, is that of Dan Cummins. Comedian of nearly eighteen years, Cummins has redirected the majority of his talent and energy to a small project he called "Timesuck."

First released in September of 2016, "Timesuck" was started with low expectations. Today, it is followed by thousands of people all over the world.

The show covers any variety of topics, from Bonnie and Clyde and Al Capone to the Lizard Illuminati and the future of A.I. Throughout a meticulously researched and detail-oriented process, Cummins delivers a comprehensive and interesting account of every topic he tackles.

Along with his dedication to telling the fullest story he can, Cummins also keeps his audiences entertained, using his comedic and improvisational abilities to lead the listener down convoluted paths of insanity. Just when you think you are safe, he tells the next crazy story that absolutely couldn't be true! But maybe...

Another popular trope of his are his recurring characters of the world of "Timesuck." Every few episodes, a character may stick around, and pop up in future episodes. Some of these include Bojangles (three-legged, one-eyed pit bull), Chikatilo (originally a Ukrainian serial killer with ED, now a symbol of moronic thought processes and impotence) and of course, Nimrod (the lord of the suck).

To the non-listener, which is probably most of you, this most likely sounds like complete insanity-- and it is. The nonsensical humor and integrated inside jokes are a huge factor of appeal for current listeners.

As mentioned above, Dan Cummins has created a vast fan-base, self-proclaimed as the "Cult of the Curious." These listeners tend to crave knowledge, especially presented in such an entertaining way. However, despite the episode count reaching nearly ninety-five, Cummins' greatest accomplishment lies in the community he has created.

Just this past weekend, I attended his comedy show in Dallas--a stop on his "Flat Earth Tour" -- and met many passionate, curious and kindhearted fans bearing "Timesuck" T-shirts, gear and art.

The common connection was a desire to be enlightened, to know more than just what we have been taught in school, as well as to be decent people. Many people have found a home in "Timesuck," made friendships and have grown as individuals.

If you crave knowledge, or just want a way to kill an hour on your drive to work, I cannot recommend enough that you give "Timesuck" a try.