Why Dad's Weekend Is The Best Weekend

Why Dad's Weekend Is The Best Weekend

Because your dad just always... gets it.

9
Why Dad's Weekend Is The Best Weekend
Jenna Larsen

Fall semester is kicking in... first rounds of tests, craziness of Homecoming, and the constant feeling of terror while looking at your agenda and seeing what the week lies ahead are all common actions during this September-October time of the year. Somehow, Dad's Weekend is crammed into all of this hectic-ness which can tend to bring more stress than excitement when you have to think about how you'll fit in time to study for your test that upcoming Monday. However, you then remember all the incredible meals, tried-and-failed selfies, and quality time you'll get to have with your #1 guy... and no amount of extra studying can replace the memories that will come from your time with your dad.

The precise placement of Dad's Weekend being "ironically" the same times of every test or assignment you could imagine may seem a bit overwhelming, but it truly is a blessing in disguise. The best excuse to not study is that you're spending time with your dad. This weekend gives you the ability to step back from all the "stuff" you have going on, take a break from your never ending to-do list, and catch your dad up on everything that's going on in your life.

I love when your parents come into town because they are so interested in every aspect of your life. Where you have your hardest class, where you go on Friday nights, what your favorite breakfast spot is, they want to know it all. Then after introducing your dad to your friend's dads, it's honestly incredible seeing the immediate friendship they have just from talking for a couple minutes. Dads have this bond with each other, so it's awesome to what people who were complete strangers immediately be best friends. And being able to experience game day with your dad is awesome too... I mean come on, what dad doesn't enjoy a sunny day of tailgating followed by a football game that night?

The relationship a daughter has with her dad sure is something special. Something about it is so comfortable and genuine. Dads always know what to do... in absolutely any situation. My dad has helped me through everything from changing my major (for the third time) to pesky girl drama. He knows nothing about a fashion major or how to deal with the utter heartbreak of not being invited to your friend's house... but somehow, he is always able to help in the best ways possible. My dad is simplistic and logical about anything that I could be freaking out about, always giving me a clear understanding of what the right decision is for anything that could be going on. My favorite part about Dad's Weekend, like any parent-related weekend, is seeing my friends with their dads too. Seeing the difference in relationships between each girl and their dads is so intriguing because they don't have to be "best friends" to know that their relationship with their dad is just as close.

Dad's weekend is the perfect time to get to show your favorite guy your home away from home. It may fall at an incredibly busy time, but that's the beauty of it. It helps put your priorities in perspective, while having fun keeping up with your dad at all the tailgates. And come on, what's better than all the free meals and getting to shopping without the complaining?