To My Dad Who Left

To My Dad Who Left

It still hurts.
19

Dear Dad,

Father's Day just passed and I couldn't help but to think about you. When surfing social media I was accosted by status after status and too many pictures of fathers and their children. These told happy stories about how much their fathers meant to them and how grateful these children were to have them. I would be lying if I said that it didn't break my heart that we don't have any happy pictures together, or really any pictures for that matter. This one from my freshman year prom is about it.

I'd be lying if I said that these posts on social media didn't ignite a small fire of jealousy in my heart. How do you wish someone a happy Father's Day when they walked out of your life? No phone number, no address, and deleted on Facebook, I was left with nothing. I thought that this hatred towards you would pass eventually, but you kept adding fuel to the fire. You walked out after the biggest heartbreak I've ever had to experience, the death of my Grandpa. There was no warning, no explanation. You left without even telling your children that you loved them. How could someone do that? We were already hurting and you made it worse. Months passed before we heard anything from you and even then there was no explanation. I heard through the grapevine that you were shacking up with my best friend from middle school, way to go dad. You weren't there for us when Great Grandpa died or when Great Grandma died. You weren't there for me when a man broke my heart the same way you did, by leaving. You weren't there to see your youngest child learn to read.

You weren't there when your middle child got engaged and recently found out he himself is going to be a dad. You weren't there when I got published for my writing. You weren't there when your oldest son needed you to tell him that he wasn't a failure. Instead of having common decency to personally tell your children that you were engaged, you added us into a group message on Facebook. The moral of the story is that you, dad, are a coward. I don't need to live my life trying to please you anymore. I'll never be daddy's little princess and you'll never have the chance to walk me down the isle. Despite all of the negativity of this article, I have one positive. Thank you for showing us that we are better off without you. Thank you for showing my mom how strong she truly is, and thank you for proving that I don't need a man in my life.

Sincerely,

Someone you used to know