Thanks To My Dad, I'm Prepared For The Realities In Life

And you can be too.

17
Marlene Lieder

My dad is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He takes pride in his lawn, the stock market, and his daily workout routine. I'll be honest: he's in better physical shape than I am, and he's got more than 40 years on me! One thing that sets my dad apart from the rest is that he has been through some really rough times, and yet he chose to take responsibility for the 10 years he struggled to make ends meet.

For example, he didn't blame the economy, he didn't blame the president, and he didn't blame his lack of parental support. Instead of sitting around, blaming society, do you know what he did to better his life? He got up and did something about it. He put himself through school while working a full-time job during the day and coaching collegiate wrestling at night. It's because of his drive for success, and willing to make sacrifices, that has led him and my mom to live a very comfortable later-adulthood.

So, why should you take these following 10 pieces of life advice from my dad, whom you've probably never met? Because my dad's life displays "The American Dream," and I think we all need a reminder of what that is, and how we can get there. In honor of Father's Day, here are 10 important life lessons I learned from my dad.

1. Bad things happen to good people, and accidents happen.

You can be the nicest person in the world, yet unfortunate events will still find a way to sneak up on you. As awful as it sounds, life is unpredictable and sometimes, you have no control in it. So stay alert, follow your gut instinct, drive defensively, and never feel invincible.

2. Hard work pays off.

Although the turmoil and stress of your journey may seem too much to handle at times, your efforts in life will pay off. I'm not talking about the half-assed efforts either; I'm talking about honest hard work.

3. Reward yourself.

My dad and I are notorious for our weekend snacky-wacky trips to the store. Here, we will divulge in sweets and coffee. The takeaway: if you can't reward yourself in life, no matter how small, you're in for a dull journey.

4. Never rely on someone for financial stability.

Whether your reliance falls on your parents, significant other, or the government, you need to know how to survive on your own. Eventually, that hand that has been feeding you may no longer reach out. In that case, you will need to know how to catch yourself.

5. Life isn't fair.

There's always going to be someone smarter or better looking. There's always going to be someone who had an easier upbringing. But this concept is a two-way street: there is always going to be someone who has it worse than you. In short, enjoy what you have in life and don't compare yourself to others.

6. You only have one life, and it's short.

With that, don't let the little things bother you. However, if big issues are prevalent in your life, handle them quickly. If you no longer want to be friends with someone, don't. If your boss is treating you poorly, find a different career. Life has a way of flying by, so don't spend it being stressed out.

7. Quid Pro Quo

This translates to "something for something." Life is all about give and take, so get used to it.

8. If you want it, go get it.

Remember when I mentioned that my dad wanted a better future for himself, so he made sacrifices? You will need to be willing to work toward your success. Find that drive to better yourself.

9. Don't blame others for your problems.

We see people doing this on the news every day. What people fail to realize is that you will always have setbacks in life. Meaning, people will always create problems for you. But that doesn't mean your life has to be defined by them. Believe it or not, you have the ability to make choices.

10. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Sure, you may love your career, even if it doesn't pay a lot. In fact, maybe I could go as far as saying you are passionate about it. But, unfortunately, that passion can quickly fade when you are unable to pay your bills, reward yourself, or fix that car repair. As my dad says, "Pay your bills first." Unfortunately, that is what being an adult is all about. There is a healthy balance between doing what you love, and stability.

My dad has taught me how to live an honest life. I'm inspired by his ambition, routines and passions. Because of him, I feel confident as a young adult that I can be successful in both my professional and personal lives. He gave me the seeds of knowledge, and now it's my turn to plant them.