Cyberbullying Is Still A Huge Issue Today—Here's What We Can Do

The Internet is forever, and so is the issue of cyberbullying.

20
Unsplash

We need for people to recognize that cyberbullying is an ongoing issue. It is definitely different in appearance and method than it was maybe five to ten years ago, but it is still alive and very much present in today's society. Cyberbullying doesn't go away, it just changes and evolves to fit the constantly changing social media and ways we communicate on the Internet in our society. Bullies do not just go away. They never will. People change and grow up and maybe grow out of being cruel to others behind the safety of a screen, but someone always steps up to replace them on their cell phone, ready to text or comment harsh words of cruelty and criticism.

I want to talk about exactly how cyberbullies have changed and how they work on social media platforms like TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram, and what we can all do to stop and prevent cyberbullying. Because cyberbullying is a cycle, we can never truly eradicate it, but we can always do what we can to help stop it as it morphs and changes with the way society changes and social media evolves.

From what was once posting nasty comments on someone's Facebook profile, or removing someone from your "Top Friends" list on MySpace, cyberbullying today, has evolved into comments on TikTok videos, posting hateful comments on your private Instagram, giving people backhanded compliments on Snapchat, or being passive-aggressively rude to your friends on your Instagram Stories. Cyberbullying, no matter what form it comes in, still has the same effect on the person that it is directed at. No one likes having mean comments made about them, but having them posted on the Internet, for all to see, especially when we know that "the Internet is forever," makes the sting that much more lasting.

"If the Internet is forever, and cyberbullying will never entirely go away, then what are we supposed to do about it?"

What we should be doing is keeping our eyes out for others, and any hate that could be directed towards them. This can come in the form of many different actions. For example, reporting rude or hateful comments that you see on any social media platform, or sending encouraging messages to people who may have received a lot of hate to let them know that there are people who care about them and who support them.

A big problem that comes with cyberbullying is that when the bully is identified, people begin to attack them for attacking someone else. This is just as harmful as the initial bullying, and yes, even though you may think you're just defending someone else, it is still cyberbullying. Instead of spewing hate at someone for doing the same to someone else, be silent, or, better yet, kill them with kindness. We have all heard that phrase way too many times growing up, but it's true! The best thing that we can do when we see cyberbullying, instead of sending hate to that person, is send them encouragement, or ask them why they are making hurtful comments.

I understand that you might not think that "killing them with kindness," or taking the time to talk to cyberbullies would be very effective, but I myself have seen it work! Ask yourself, "What good can spreading more hatred and angry comments do?" Instead of spreading more hate and toxicity, spread the love and encouragement that you would give to a victim of cyberbullying. Although cyberbullying is an enormous, complicated problem, its solutions are much more simple than you might think.

So next time that you are scrolling through the "For You" page on TikTok, or looking through your Instagram feed and find someone spreading hate on social media, take a moment to spread the love to both of those people. We must all do whatever we can to stop this toxic trend and make the Internet, and all of its platforms, a safe and welcoming space for every and anybody. Remember, cyberbullying is an ongoing issue, but we can help stop it by spreading the love.