7 Struggles You'll Understand If You Work In Customer Service

The customer is always right.

140

We've all heard the horrors of working in customer service. My friends have all complained about working in retail, and I myself work at the computer labs on campus. If you've had the pleasure of working in a job where you have to put up with annoying customers but still plaster on a smile, then you'll understand the struggle. But remember: the customer is always right!

1. When someone asks, "Do you work here?"

This would be a totally innocent question if I weren't decked out in a full uniform and a name tag. Nah, I don't work here, I just like wearing this hideous outfit for funsies.

2. Realizing you won't be able to quit your job for months

Goodbye hopes and dreams of becoming a world-famous surgeon. Catch me in the stock room from Monday to Saturday.

3. When someone insists that there's no paper in the printer but there definitely is

Just listen to me. I am trying to help you. Even when I pull out the paper tray and show them there's paper, they're like, "Oh, well, the printer says there's no paper."

4. When someone asks you the same question for the sixth time that day

Patience can only get you so far. Sometimes you have to summon the inner super fake customer service voice in you to get through the day.

5. When your coworker doesn't show up for their next shift on time

You thought you could clock out when your shift was over but your coworker hasn't shown up yet so you can't leave. Never subbing for them ever again.

6. When a customer wants you to look in the back for extra clothes

Let me just pretend to look for about five minutes so you think I actually tried really hard (even though I already said whatever is out in the store is all we have).

7. When you actually try to be nice but the customer sasses you

This is the thanks I get for being nice. Lesson learned.

These are only a few of the struggles that come with a job in customer service. The list goes on and on. But hang in there, your shift will be over soon enough.