When Customers Act Like Demons

11 Customer Habits That Make Drive-Thru Workers Want To Jump Out The Window

A bad shift can make for a good article prompt.

119
https://unsplash.com/photos/1SjD5ZEiUsA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVZYIDyBC4

Recently, I started working at my old job in the drive-thru.

I was really excited to get to see my old bosses and coworkers, fill my time and obtain extra spending money.

However, there was one aspect of my job that I wasn't exactly looking forward to dealing with annoying customers and their bad habits.

Don't get me wrong, I love meeting new people and putting a smile on their face, even if it's just for a few minutes. I've even made friends with some of my customers!

I just don't enjoy dealing with customers that have bad, annoying habits that make it very difficult to do my job, let alone with a smile on my face.

Therefore, as I finish up my delicious banana split I got from work after a hard day, I will present you with some customer habits I find the most irritating.

1. Not knowing what restaurant they're at.

media.giphy.com

I cannot tell y'all how many times people have come through the drive-thru asking for menu items we don't serve at our restaurant, such as Whoppers, McFlurries, donuts, etc. Make sure you know where you're at before you make a fool out of yourself, por favor.

2. Me: "Hi, how are you doing today?"Customer: "What's my total?"

media.giphy.com

I was just trying to be nice, bro.

3. Adding to their order at the pay window.

media.giphy.com

There is a window for ordering and a window for paying. When customers order extra stuff at the pay window, it holds up the line and puts both the workers and the other customers at a disadvantage. If you need to order extra stuff, pay for your first order and then go back around.

4. Paying for their entire meal in coins.

media.giphy.com

Not only does it take forever, but counting that many coins is a nightmare. I'm going to school for Communications, not Accounting.

5. Going through the drive-thru without a car.

media.giphy.com

Yes, people actually walk through the drive-thru! Not only is this a safety hazard, but it's also terrifying when people show up in the drive-thru on foot and knock on the window, especially when it's dark out. Just order from the front like a normal homosapien, dude.

6. Complaining about ranch being extra.

media.giphy.com

"Ranch shouldn't be extra!" Well neither should you, Debra, yet here we are.

7. Complaining about the prices in general.

media.giphy.com

I don't make the rules. The people who set the prices have degrees in Business and/or Economics and have years of experience and training. Trust me, they know what they're doing. If you don't like the prices, eat somewhere else.

8. Me: "Your total is $9.52"Customer: *hands me a $10"Me: *punches in the $10*Customer: "Wait, I have the 52 cents!"

media.giphy.com

Good for you, now here's your 48 cents in change. Next time, hand me all the money at one time.

9. Flirting with the employee (aka me).

media.giphy.com

I'm here to make money, not babies.

10. Having an attitude when asked to pull around to the front.

media.giphy.com

The only time we ask customers to pull around is when they have a huge order that takes a long time to make. We have a certain drive time we're expected to meet, and long orders hold up the line and increase our drive time. If our average drive time goes over by too much, we get blamed. Please be understanding.

11. Trying to have conversations with employees in the drive thru.

media.giphy.com

This one isn't as annoying as it is inconvenient. When I work the front, I have more time to have actual conversations with customers, but the drive-thru is not the place for you to tell me about your enlarged glands. It's called "fast food", not "tell me your life story while I pretend to listen to" food.

Some of y'all never worked in customer service when y'all were younger and it shows.