All The World's A Stage!

All The World's A Stage!

And Buffalo is one of my favorite stages.

16
All The World's A Stage!
Curtain Up! Buffalo

September is already almost over which means fall is about to be in full swing. Fall is my favorite season for a multitude of reasons including perfect temperatures, my favorite outfits, changing colors, apple cider and of course the opening of the theatre season. Buffalo hosts a thriving theatre community and with every fall season all of us theatre lovers come together to celebrate the only way we know how, with food, drinks, and a great show.

While I am a Buffalo native, this was my first year attending the Curtain Up! festival and boy was it treat. As an avid theatre lover since I played my first role as Mary in my church's Nativity play, I have always set some time aside to explore theatre as best I can. It was only fitting I that I ring in my first year of "adulthood" attending an adult theatre event. This year was the 35th annual Curtain Up! festival and as always, Main street was buzzing with excitement of the year to come. Since I was rather late to the game, I missed out on catching a show but I did manage to come by for the after show festivities. Buffalo's historic theatre district was brimming with energy as soon as I made it onto Main street. Shops, theatres, and art galleries were open to the public to check out. Food trucks and bars made sure us theatre goers were well cared for, and live music kept the energy up all down the street.

My friends and I made our way down Main street to check out all that was being offered and when we reached the end of the street we were met with a scene straight out of a movie. Lively music and even livelier people occupied this end of Main Street dancing to tunes provided by JJ Swings. Now this is what I lived for. Music truly brings people together as 20 year olds and 60 year olds danced side by side to such tunes as September by Earth, Wind, and Fire (apparently a crowd favorite all evening as this would not be the only time I would jam to it). As we got down and boogied we were interrupted by a fireworks show that was shot off the roof of the building right in front of us! it was both magical and terrifying. It took my breath away and caused my friends to scream at the top of their lungs. We hurried our way back to the heart of the festival to catch the much anticipated drag show provided by Club Marcella. This was definitely the highlight of the evening. I was no novice to the entertaining environment of Club Marcella but a couple of my friends had no idea what they were getting into to. The show blew us all away as we screamed, clapped and danced our way through both theatre and pop hits. The queens slayed. We cried. Most of the time I spent making this face:

The show was incredible and we left with hoarse voices, shot out ear drums, and most importantly a hatred of self for not looking nearly as good as our queens here in the B-Lo. The latter end of the night was spent laughing amongst friends and sharing a few drinks followed by a late night run to Might Taco of course. It was quite a successful night if I do say so myself.

I am very fortunate to live in a city that has not only embraced theatre and the arts but has very much helped it grow. As a 22 year old living in Buffalo, I sometimes find myself meeting people both in and out of the area that think Buffalo has nothing to offer. Attending events like Curtain Up! prove those people so incredibly wrong. I only needed to take one moment to take in the lights, the sounds, the energy, and the beautiful people around me to realize that I am not worthy. It is in these moments that I truly love Buffalo for all that it has to offer. It is hidden treasure chest that requires people to search for its jewels, but once you find it you keep coming back for more. Curtain Up! is most certainly not the only great thing about Buffalo, but for any of my fellow lovers of theatre and the arts, do your soul a favor and mark your calendars for the next Curtain Up! festival. Can't wait that long? No worries, we may have some things to help make the time go by. Check out all the productions that are going on this year and you are sure to find something you like, maybe even something you though you would never like. I personally am high-key excited for the opening tour of Finding Neverland to begin right here in our own Shea's Performing Arts Center. Buffalo's theatre scene continues to impress as well as Buffalo itself so before you judge take some time to discover this great city of good neighbors.