What "Entry Level" Really Means On The Job Market

The big question is... how can you gain experience if you can't find an entry-level job?

17

If you have been on the hunt for a job in a more professional field, you probably know how frustrating it can be to apply to job after job in hopes of just one phone call. For many of us who never finished college, it can be even more of a challenge to get your foot in the door with an employer. For many college graduates, even, it can be hard to find a job that doesn't require prior workplace experience. The big question is... how can you gain experience if you can't find an entry-level job?

I had a few reasons for dropping out of college, one of which being that I knew that the field I was interested in would be hard to get a job in without at least having a Master's degree. An ever-present issue with earning a college degree (or numerous degrees) is the money factor. I know that I am not the only person who has left college after comparing the estimated income that I would be making after graduation to the amount of debt that I would rack up getting to the "finish line". Now, don't take this as me putting education down. For many people, earning a degree is a major important milestone in their life and for their career. However, there are many people who feel that they would be better on the workforce or jumping right into work.

Maybe eventually employers will realize that they are missing out on many great potential employees by requiring prior experience, especially for a job that is considered "entry level".

This has been a ranting/musing by me. :)