Curb Your Habit

Curb Your Habit

Tips on getting rid of bad habits from the queen of developing them.

139
Curb Your Habit
Shutterstock

Unless you've somehow evolved past the rest of the human race, you are bound to have struggled with at least one bad habit in your lifetime. To those who haven't been in your shoes, the simple solution would be to just stop, right?

In a perfect world, it would be that simple. Unfortunately, that is not the case. For those of you who don't know, each time you indulge in one of your vices, certain endorphins are released that give you feelings of satisfaction, encouraging you to repeat this behavior. One of these chemicals - dopamine - you may have already heard of, as it is the same chemical released into the human nervous system when drugs such as cocaine and heroine are used. Because of this, it seems fitting that bad habits are sometimes referred to as "addictions."

There are a variety of different coping skills that can be used to get rid of a habit; however, what works for one person may not work as well for another. As a person who struggles with multiple habits, including biting my lips and picking at my cuticles, I've had tactics thrown at me repeatedly in an effort to get rid of them. After years of trying and still seeing no improvement, I realized that something had to give. I was sick of people pointing out the scars on my mouth or freaking out after seeing my nail beds start bleeding. Only after I developed my own coping skills did these habits improve, if even by a little bit. Because we are all human and indulge in things we probably shouldn't, I decided to write this article to share these exact experiences. That way, I can ensure that at least one person is able to start getting rid of their habits before they get as extreme as mine did.

First, like any other addiction, the first action you need to take is fessing up to yourself. Realize that though the behavior you've adopted may provide you with momentary release, it isn't healthy in the long run. Do not, I repeat, do not go about breaking a habit just because someone told you to do it. A gigantic part, if not the largest part, of getting better is having the right state of mind. Feeling pressured and anxious to break a habit may have the exact opposite effect. In addition, you need to accept that bad habits aren't famous for being broken overnight. The process takes patience.

Next, fill in a friend or a family member that you see often and trust on what's going on. Ask them to help you by letting you know whenever you start reverting back to your old ways. By doing this, you are able to combat the temptation much easier and make sure that someone is always there to give you an extra push.

Finally, you need to develop your coping skill. One of the most tried-and-true ways of doing this is by replacing a bad habit with a good one. For example, instead of biting my lips constantly when I got anxious or bored, I started putting on chapstick instead. Now, I've replaced a dry and cut-up mouth with softer, fuller lips. This tactic applies to other habits as well, and long-term rewards of curbing them encourage continued progress. Take a deep breath and commit to getting yourself back on track, you deserve it!