The Culture of Productivity Is Hurting Our Mental Health – Here’s Why

Always being "on" is hurting more than helping.

35
d3tvpxjako9ywy.cloudfront.net

The idea that we constantly have to be working on something – whether those are classes, an internship, or chores – is killing our mental health. The culture of productivity, as it's known, refers to the need to be always "on" and doing something.

With each goal you achieve or task you cross off, one more gets added to the list. Suddenly, you're drowning in to-do's that you've set for yourself, all of them considered to be something you just have to do. I challenge you to take a look at the list you made and disregard anything that isn't going to better you. Laundry is important, but finishing that YouTube video… isn't.

The culture of productivity also kills breaks and free time. Any time we take a break or have free time, we try to work on something else. Don't. Instead, use those breaks to take deep breaths, do meditation, call a friend; anything that will relax your mind.

There is also the guilt we feel when we have free time. We feel guilty or wrong for not doing anything during quarantine. Should we be getting ahead with our goals or planning for the future? Whether you choose to do that or not, revel in the free time and "nothingness" during quarantine. There is no rush to get ahead – just enjoy where you are right now, with all this beautiful free time.

So what does this all mean for our mental health?

The culture of productivity hurts our mental health because we may feel guilty about the quietness in our lives right now; we may feel anxious from overworking ourselves and constantly worrying about the future; and we may feel trapped in comparison, as we wonder if we're doing enough.

Anxiety and depression are prevalent in American society already, but quarantine and COVID-19 related struggles have worsened these challenges. In fact, 1 in 3 teens face anxiety disorders, according to the National Institute of Health. Understand that you're not alone.

How can we break this cycle?

Although the culture of productivity is ingrained into a lot of minds, we can start to break this mold by doing and thinking differently. Just as we trained our thinking to reflect the culture of productivity, we can train our minds to find a new path.

First, be patient with yourself. Our thought processes don't change overnight. Second, take meaningful breaks – stretch, meditate, take deep breaths, pet an animal, draw – and stay away from your phone. Third, look at your to-do list not as a droning list of tasks, but as small steps adding more value into your life (make sure those tasks are providing value and not just dragging you down).

We can beat this culture of productivity, if only in our minds, while keeping our mental health in top shape.