CSE Is Going Back To Its Roots

CSE Is Going Back To Its Roots

#DiscoverYourFounders

7
CSE Is Going Back To Its Roots
Maria Capozzoli

In 1974, Sister Francis Maria Cassidy of the Sisters of Charity wrote a three-act play about Mother Elizabeth Seton and her journey into Catholicism. In February 2017, this play, Elizabeth of New York, will be performed at the College of Saint Elizabeth for the first time. The students involved have been hard at work rehearsing and getting into character since October 2016. Elizabeth of New York will wrap up this year’s Founders Day events; student Maria Capozzoli, ‘18, has taken on the task of directing, Dr. Margaret Roman is the faculty advisor, and the Mission Council is sponsoring the show. Invitations to the performance were extended to the Mother House as well as the Academy of Saint Elizabeth.

When asked about the play, director Maria Capozzoli said, “We are three communities on one campus, who not only share the same founders, but also the same teachings, and most importantly, the same mission and values. Elizabeth of New York has come at a time of change where we can come as one to further embrace and reflect on the teachings and values of our founders.”

This play is not meant to be a lecture in religion, but instead a lesson on one of our school's founders - the woman the college is named after. Anyone, regardless of their religious belief, can find enjoyment in Elizabeth of New York, the story of a woman who fought for what she believed in despite backlash from friends and family.

Show dates will be Thursday, February 23rd at 2PM; Friday, February 24th at 8PM; and Saturday, February 25th at 2PM. Tickets are free will donation, and a dessert reception following the Friday and Saturday performances will be sponsored by the Alumnae/i Association of the College of Saint Elizabeth. Each performance will be dedicated to Sister Francis Maria Cassidy, SC and Sister Eileen Dolan, SC.

Mother Seton is waiting to be discovered; are you ready?