Crying Doesn't Make You Weak, It Means You're Strong
Health Wellness

Crying Doesn't Make You Weak, It Makes You The Strongest One In The Room

Even if you hold it in and pretend to be unbothered, you're inevitably going to crack.

310
person with glasses crying beside white bed

Crying helps to release emotions. Have you ever shaken a bottle of soda... vigorously... multiple times… and then opened the cap shortly after?

That, my friends, is what happens if you do not release said emotions. You become triggered by a simple shake of the shoulders.

I tend to be the type of person who doesn't like to open up to just anyone. And, I typically don't do so anyway without some sort of prompting. Nevertheless, I have found this to be an absolutely awful tactic. By not facing any inner demons, as small as some may be, you put a lot of pressure on your chest. Everything builds up and up and up until you can no longer hold it in and you simply burst. Bursts can be a fit of anger or just a flood of tears. Either way, it is not something anyone wants to go through.

Scientifically, crying occurs to rid our eyes of any dust, dirt, or pesky eyelashes that can cause you pain. But, as tacky as this sounds, it really is needed for releasing emotional pains as well. There is absolutely no such thing as being "too tough to cry." News flash: everybody cries. It is when we choose to do so that differs between us.

Of course, I suppose if you're on the complete opposite side of the spectrum and cry at almost anything, that probably isn't too fun for you either. However, at least you have the courage to admit that you do genuinely feel things and aren't afraid to acknowledge your emotions.

Society has both glorified sadness and made it a weakness all in one. But, coming from someone who loves to be happy just as much as the next person, I'm telling you this: crying is essential to our human functions. Like I said before, even if you hold it in and pretend to be unbothered, you're inevitably going to crack — and that's OK! That means you have a soul, congratulations.

I think it's safe to say that it is time to finally own our emotions and to not be ashamed of them. The next time you need to cry, do it. Allow yourself to face your inner struggles, the demons you have been facing, or even the little things that have been upsetting you. Scream into a pillow. Let your mascara streak down your face. I may not be a doctor, but I will be the first one to tell you that it is not healthy to keep everything inside. Do yourself a favor, and cry.