A Crown Fit For A Chungking

A Crown Fit For A Chungking

A review for the stellar Chinese film, Chungking Express

12
A Crown Fit For A Chungking
From Chungking Express

"Chungking Express" is a thought-provoking film, drawing upon the the clashing emotions of lonesome characters to evoke a sense of immersion into the story. The staggered method of storytelling also presents a style fit for the hectic setting of Hong Kong. With a focus on how characters mentally manage their inner emotions, "Chunking" director, Wong Kar-wai, has created a film that mimics reality in an entertaining manner.

A police officer, known as Cop 223, has just split up with his girlfriend and, still holding onto hopes that their relationship will be rekindled, he gives himself until his next birthday, May 1, before he’ll finally move on from this troubled romance. Happening opposite the officer’s dilemma, a woman in a blonde wig is faced with the fallout of a failed drug ring. On the run from a resulting shootout, she finds solace in a bar, where, coincidentally, Cop 223 encounters her there and tries to woo her. The wigged woman falls asleep and the officer decides to take her to a hotel room. The next morning on May 1, Cop 223 leaves the room and while being away, receives a “Happy Birthday!” message from the woman, who has also left the hotel room and is fleeing after shooting the drug dealer that set up previous failed drug smuggling.

Another police officer, Cop 663, has a relationship with a flight attendant and the couple frequent a snack bar where a woman named Faye works. One day, the stewardess gives Faye a letter to send to Cop 663, notifying him that she wants to break up. The snack bar worker opens the contents of the letter, containing the keys to the officer’s apartment. She uses this chance to sneak in and help his living situation. Cop 663, who has become extremely lonesome since discovering the break-up, finds out what Faye has been doing, but, being clued in to her feelings towards him, he offers to take her out on a date. However, Faye does not show up and leaves Hong Kong, only leaving behind a handwritten boarding pass for him to redeem. A year later, Faye, now a flight attendant, crosses paths with Cop 663, who asks her for a new boarding pass leaving for any place they’d like.

The film is fantastic at all levels, from the use of dynamic cinematography to the characterization of its lonesome protagonists. A majority of the story is told not through speech, but through mannerisms and facial emotions. Some viewers are comfortable with films directly stating every motive and feeling for each character, but director Wong Kar-wai knows that inferences made from watching how someone moves or behaves build a stronger personal connection between the on-screen personas and the moviegoer. "Chungking Express" is a film that does not insult the spectator’s intelligence, but rather challenges it to read the human emotion.

The film excels at developing a sense of immersion in the universe of the protagonists. By pairing the handheld camera with dynamic, yet intimate camera angles, Kar-wei creates a personal atmosphere linking the viewer to the characters. For example, when Faye receives the key to Cop 663’s apartment, she decides to let herself in and rearrange the place. This scene consists of a very close camera angle following behind as she traverses the room. Occasionally, there are shots of her face, looking joyful and bubbly.

With the close camera creating a sense of intimacy with the character, the viewer can catch a glimpse of the personal side of Faye. Other characters in the film do not have this opportunity as in public, she shelters her true nature. With the pronounced use of the over the shoulder angle, the spectator can follow each of Faye’s movements and feel involved with every action she takes.